Sunday, August 4, 2019

Breakfast in Austria

I did remember to take photos of the breakfast offerings this morning. Unlike the French, the German-speaking countries tend to have a hearty breakfast. My hotel lays out a particularly tempting table so let me take you on a tour. First of all, the tea area with a samovar of hot water and various teas and implements:

This and the rest, click to enlarge
More teas and a selection of jams:


The coffee machine that does regular coffee and hot chocolate as well as expresso and cappuccino:


The dry cereal area:


The fruit, yoghurt and, I think, cheesecake area (though there is another platter of fruit I forgot to photograph):


The first part of the bread and croissant area:


The second part of the bread area. In the top left are the ubiquitous rolls that are the most common breakfast food--topped with cold cuts and cheese:


The third part of the bread area with the heavier types of bread:


Cheeses:


Cold cuts of meat:


Salad items:


Smoked salmon:


And, finally, fruit juices (apple, orange, grapefruit, papaya and water):


Even though this is quite a modest hotel, this is, in my experience, an excellent breakfast buffet.

UPDATE: Forgot to mention that they also have newspapers and magazines in the breakfast room. The Salzburger Nachrichten has a weekend edition and there is an eight-page section entirely devoted to the festival. This one had articles on several of the operas and a complete schedule of concerts.

UPPERDATE: Also forgot to mention that there is a container with soft-boiled eggs (though not so soft after a while!) and you can have fried or scrambled eggs or an omelet that they make for you on demand.

3 comments:

Marc in Eugene said...

The cheeses caught my eye! Any idea what is the one in the upper right hand corner of the cheese case? I can get occasionally some sort of Bergkäse here. The Austrians make a cheese flavored with perry, pear cider, that I'd love to try, and then another one called Sauerkäse that I doubt would much suit my palate.

Marc in Eugene said...

There are actually two sorts of cheese in the upper right corner, aren't there-- one of them is perhaps the blue cheese "Wildbacher", which is washed in elderberry juice?

Bryan Townsend said...

I will look into those cheeses tomorrow for sure! I haven't gotten past the usual ones, so far. Tomorrow I am determined to try those things I usually don't eat in the morning!!