Saturday, August 3, 2019

Austrian Food

I love Austrian food--at least when I am here. I have forgotten to take any pictures so far, until now. I just got back from a visit to Salzburg's oldest bierkeller where I had a half-litre of the local draft and a plate of goulash with dumplings,

Click to enlarge
No, I didn't quite remember until I had already started! Fantastic gravy, very substantial dumplings and tender beef. Plus a long yellow pepper that was not hot at all. The beer was nice. Funny, I hardly ever drink beer at home, but here I quite enjoy it. Have to see if they have anything exotic next time. Austria is quite a nationalist place. Everywhere you go they serve local specialties. Even the big restaurants with long wine lists have hardly any wines that are not from Austria. About the most exotic menu item I have seen that is not Austrian is a cheeseburger. However, there are a couple of Asian restaurants in town, one with most Japanese including sushi and the other Korean.

Tomorrow I will tell you about the breakfasts!

2 comments:

Marc in Eugene said...

The national/regional/local versus the cosmopolitan, sure; there's lots to be argued both for and against each of those attitudes, I reckon. Very different from the ordinary experience of the US, particularly on the coasts. Why, for example, should I expect restaurants to be serving sushi and goulash in Small Town, Oregon where there have never been resident populations of Middle Europeans and Japanese?

Diabelli Variations tonight: Sokolov, from 2003, which I've listened to before, or Igor Levit, from 2016?

Bryan Townsend said...

Europe is a group of nations, each with a unique and remarkable character that is well worth preserving.

Well, I'll be hearing Igor Levit tonight who is playing the Six Bagatelles op 126 by Beethoven (this is a week for Beethoven bagatelles!) followed by the Adagio from the Symphony No. 10 by Mahler and ending with the Diabelli Variations. The ticket for this concert in the smaller Haus für Mozart is only a quarter of the price of the one for Sokolov.