Sunday, October 14, 2012

Townsend: Las Abejas by Barrios

Ready for some more Barrios? This piece is short one, what used to be called a bon-bon, something suitable as an encore. Have you noticed that encores are fewer and fewer these days? I've been to many concerts where I thought the artist deserved to be called back for at least one encore, but the audience just seemed eager to get home. I wrote about that here.

As I was saying, this is a fairly short piece by Barrios, called Las Abejas, "The Bees". There are other pieces that purport to mimic some fast-moving creature: the Flight of the Bumblebee by Rimsky-Korsakov is the most famous, but there is another one for guitar by Emilio Pujol called El Abejorro, the bumblebee. Here is a quite a nice performance:


There is also a piece by Julio Sagreras called El Colibri, the hummingbird:


And now, finally, my performance of Barrios' Las Abejas:


No comments: