Sunday, October 28, 2018

Elogio de la Danza, part 4

I have met Leo Brouwer a few times and played for him in a master class on two occasions. On one of them, I am pretty sure I played the Elogio. At this point in time, I barely recall anything that he said, except we did talk about my somewhat eccentric sitting position where I leaned into the guitar a lot. That is one thing I have modified over the years. In any case, here is a photo of me with Leo in a master class in Toronto in, I think, 1978:


Having established my bona fides (Heh!) let's get right into the rest of the Obstinato. The movement is basically a three-part form: ABA. We have covered the A section. The next page acts as a contrasting B section. After the "stacking" motif and a repetition of the motif with the tapping on the bridge, a new motif is introduced:


If this looks familiar, that is because it is using the intervals of the "stacking" motif: 4ths rising to 5ths, but with the addition of a minor 3rd. Interspersed with variations on this basic idea is a new idea, a rasgueado chord:


This too is not new as the chord is mostly the same as the one arpeggiated at the beginning of the movement:


Same notes, but with an added C. How to execute the rasgueado is indicated in the score. I suggest that you strum across the strings away from the bridge where there is less resistance--over the soundhole at least. No indication is given for how to do the golpe. I suggest that you do the eighth rest by touching the left hand side of your thumb to the strings to cut the sound, then do the i strum. Then slap the strings and body with the flat of your hand before coming back with the i again. It works for me. This kind of chord-plus-golpe is very common in popular Latin American music. These two ideas, the rising motif and the rasgueado, alternate with rhythmic variations then a final idea is introduced:


This sounds like a new idea, with a lot of chromatic decoration, ending with a tritone. After one last statement of the rasgueado chord, the motif is extended and varied, ending again with the tritone. And that's it for the B section. The last page simply repeats the beginning, ending with a chord built of 4ths and 5ths.

The Elogio de la Danza is quite a perfect piece in its way. It is brilliantly and creatively written for the guitar, nearly everything falling easily under the fingers. It has a number of unique textures and ideas. It is solidly founded on the folk music of Latin America and draws upon a number of traditional techniques. Finally, it has a harmonic palette that is quite original and gives the piece a unique sound. Except for the fact that this piece is fairly short, it corresponds to the place of the Rite of Spring in the output of Igor Stravinsky. Brouwer has even characterized the piece as a homage to Stravinsky's "ballets russes," that is, the ballets written by the young Stravinsky for Diaghilev's company and premiered in Paris that included The Firebird, Petrushka and the Rite. Immediately after this piece, Brouwer moved into a quite different idiom with his Espiral eterna, a piece inspired by tape loops, Stockhausen and Ligeti. If I get ambitious, I might do some posts on that piece as well.

Let's hear one final performance of the Elogio. This is a very clean and accurate performance by the Czech guitarist Vladimir Mikulka:


There is just one surprising omission: he does not do the second golpe together with the 6th string open that is one of the characteristic motifs in the Obstinato movement.

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that Mikulka does the staccato motif really well.

3 comments:

Steven said...

Just wanted to quickly thank you for this series, Bryan. I've been having a go with some success, though I don't think I'll properly learn the piece at the moment. I'm not good enough to do it well -- it requires greats skill and control, obviously -- and frankly, although I find Brouwer's music quite interesting, I don't find it that compelling. But this study guide has been useful generally -- it's been especially helpful to think very carefully about timbre.

I did, as it happens, hear a new Brouwer piece for guitar ensemble a couple of nights ago in London. But as I didn't have a programme to hand, I didn't realise it was Brouwer until after the concert. It sounded nothing like the Brouwer I'm familiar with -- quite tonal, fairly sedate. I can't say I liked it much either! It just came and went. It did have the notable inclusion of an electric bass, who sat apart from the ensemble and looked rather surly, as bassists tend to.

Bryan Townsend said...

Hey, I started out as an electric bassist! But you may be right, I will have to check some old photos...

Thanks for the comment. I know that this series has been very specialized, but I'm glad you got something out of it. I need to follow up with a couple more posts on Brouwer, especially his later music. I tend to agree his music has gotten both bland and sedate with a touch of gratuitous virtuosity, which appeals to a lot of younger guitarists, I guess. I suspect the piece you heard was one of his interminable "Cuban Landscape with ... " series. I conducted the first one of those years ago, titled "Cuban Landscape with Rain" and there have been many since, "Cuban Landscape with Rumba," "Cuban Landscape with Fiesta," "Cuban Landscape with Bells" and for all I know "Cuban Landscape with Tractor." The first one was sort of colorful and interesting, but mostly they are poor imitations of Steve Reich. This kind of thing is one reason I stopped trying to imitate Steve Reich in my own compositions.

Steven said...

Yes, it was very minimalist -- in all senses.