Friday, April 19, 2024

Perfection Achieved

I taught myself how to write by writing letters to the editor of the Globe and Mail in Toronto. You had to address an issue of the day in pithy and original prose and not exceed 800 words. I got so that I could get quite a few letters published. And now, in the limited world of musical discussion on the Internet, I think I have achieved beatitude. Yesterday Rick Beato put up a particularly wacky video titled "What Is Wrong With Everyone?" Here it is:


Assuming that the comments are sorted according to Top Comments the first comment you will see is this one, attributed to Speusippus:
I was quantized once, but I got over it. Then I went all Pythagorean...

For some obscure reason way back in the early days I chose the nom de plume of Speusippus, the nephew of Plato, as my YouTube identity. You can tell it is me from the photo, the same one I use here. So that is my comment. Now here is the beatitude, it is the first ranked of 11,461 comments!! So that was a very cool comment but I bemoan how huge Rick Beato's appeal is compared to mine. Maybe I should be more wacky and hysterical?

2 comments:

Will Wilkin said...

Bryan, I never heard of him.

Bryan Townsend said...

Rick Beato is sort of your YouTube popular guitar teacher but he has done a zillion videos on music including ones on Bach and appreciative videos on Yuja Wang and Martha Argerich. Mostly on popular music, though. He has four million subscribers and this video got over eleven thousand comments in one day!!