Wednesday, September 23, 2020

A Flourishing of Commenting

A few days ago I took down moderation of comments here because I haven't seen a comment I wanted to delete for years and years. There was a real problem several years ago. But no more. I have the best commentators on the web, it seems. We can discuss a wide range of things without descending to scurrilous personal calumny--or calling one another names. And thank goodness for that.

Since I ceased moderation there seems to be a real uptick in commenting and I encourage you to keep it up. This is a place where your views are welcome and it will remain so. I think a good conversation is one of the greatest pleasures in life, well above that of crème brûlée and nearly equal to a glass of ice wine.

The string quartet, at its best, captures in music the pleasures of a good conversation. So thank you commentators for your absolutely essential contributions.

Here, by way of illustration is Haydn's String Quartet Op 33 No 2 E flat major, "The Joke"


UPDATE: By the way, comments here at the Music Salon, are just about to top 10,000!

2 comments:

Maury said...

I don't know if there is this flexibility in the software but the best approach would be having host approval of a new commenter's first post. It is a non problem for repeat commenters.

Bryan Townsend said...

After five years in which there were no posts I wished to delete, I just decided to open it up. I think the only way to go to what you are suggesting is to sign up with Disqus or a similar program. And they have a host of problems! So unless a problem arises, I will just leave it open.