Sunday, August 16, 2020

R. I. P. Julian Bream

 The great British guitarist Julian Bream passed away on Friday, aged 87. Slipped Disc has a brief memorial:

Battersea born, he dazzled teachers at the Royal College of Music and, after army service, set up his own consort. He was hugely influential in reviving composers of the Tudor age and his virtuosity attracted new works from Britten, Walton, Tippett, Henze and others.  He made copious recordings on both guitar and lute.

The BBC has a far more comprehensive article, with a few errors:

The virtuoso musician performed globally during his heyday, and was renowned for his recordings of new compositions and masterclasses.

He won four Grammy Awards and received 20 nominations between 1960 and 85.

A self-taught musician, Bream learned playing to radio dance bands with the lute his father bought from a sailor on London's Charing Cross Road in 1947.

As a child prodigy, his early recitals led to him being "acknowledged as one of the most remarkable artists of the post-war era", according to the Royal Academy of Music.

Of course, it wasn't a lute that his father purchased from a sailor in 1947, it was a guitar. And while he was indeed renowned for commissioning and performing new music, he was not known for giving master classes.

The Guardian has a rather better obituary:

It was on hearing a recording of Andrés Segovia that Julian’s love affair with the classical guitar began. Though his father recognised Julian’s musical potential, he visualised his future as being with the piano, on which Julian was by then taking lessons. However, Henry bought a “finger-style” guitar (as it was then commonly known) for Julian on his 11th birthday. In the same year he was given a junior exhibition award to study the piano at the Royal College of Music, with the cello as his second instrument.

Although he gave a groundbreaking demonstration recital there, he was asked not to bring his guitar in by the front door. There was no question of his studying the guitar at the RCM – there was no one capable of teaching him. His first lessons were with Boris Perott, a polymath Russian émigré who founded the Philharmonic Society of Guitarists in London. “They were of cursory value and didn’t do any harm, but I had to unlearn the right-hand technique he taught me,” Bream said. “They may have given me some measure of discipline at a time when I needed it.” 

As an important factor in securing the future of the guitar, he commissioned new works from, among others, Benjamin Britten (Nocturnal After John Dowland, which Bream described as “very nearly beyond me”), William Walton (Five Bagatelles), Malcolm Arnold (Guitar Concerto, Fantasy), Michael Tippett (The Blue Guitar), Hans Werner Henze (Royal Winter Music), Lennox Berkeley (Guitar Concerto, Sonatina, Theme and Variations), Alan Rawsthorne (Elegy), Richard Rodney Bennett (Guitar Concerto, Impromptus, Sonata) and Toru Takemitsu (All in Twilight); many of these have become standard repertory. In this respect he made a greater contribution than any other guitarist of his generation.

Very true, that last. The other great guitarist of the second half of the 20th century was John Williams of both England and Australia, but his commissions were few and of little significance. He was more interested in pop/classical crossover.

The New York Times has an excellent piece:

It could be argued, in fact, that Mr. Bream, even more than Segovia, established the guitar’s credibility as a serious solo instrument. He updated the technical standard of classical guitar playing and replaced the Romantic, rubato-heavy phrasing that Segovia preferred with a more modern style. And he undertook a significant renovation of the repertory.

While Segovia, a Spaniard, devoted himself largely to music that naturally emphasized the guitar’s Spanish and Latin American roots, Mr. Bream showed that the instrument was equally suited to German, French and English works and to some of the thorny contemporary styles that the more conservative Segovia avoided.

Even the Wall Street Journal has a tribute:

Julian Bream’s epitaph will not be hard to write: He ranks alongside Jascha Heifetz and Vladimir Horowitz as the classical musician who more than any other defined the musical horizons for his instrument, and his name will always be recalled with warmth whenever a younger guitarist has occasion to perform one of the pieces that he commissioned. There can be no finer monument.

I heard Julian Bream in concert on four occasions and met him personally after one of those concerts. He was so highly regarded that in 1975, when I was an undergraduate at McGill in Montreal, myself and three other guitar students rented a car and drove all the way to New York just to hear him give a concert at Town Hall. After the concert we just drove all the way back--eight hours. But we considered it well worth it because in those years Montreal wasn't on his tour list. I remember the concert quite well. The first half was on the lute and for some pieces he had the score out and lying on the floor in front of him. He made the joke that as he got older, his memory was poorer, but his eyesight was getting better. The last piece in the first half was rather a train wreck and you might say he abandoned it, rather than brought it to a conclusion. Yes, the thing about Bream recitals was that his technique was a bit unpredictable. One night he would be as good as it gets, but another night and he was pretty shaky. This was one of the latter. But the musicianship was always of the highest quality.

One of the recitals I saw him play in Montreal in the 90s was sheer perfection in every aspect. I particularly recall one of his encores, El Mestre, a Catalan folksong arrangement by Miguel Llobet, that was simply transcendent. I cannot imagine it better played. In contrast, the last time I saw him, also in Montreal in the early 90s and I think his final tour, was again rather shaky with some Bach that was both tense and jittery.

I met him backstage after a concert in Victoria, BC, in the 80s, another fine performance. We talked about the availability of his recent recordings. I have met many of the guitar greats, either in master classes or after performances: these include Narciso Yepes, John Williams, Pepe Romero, Manuel Barrueco and quite a few others. With few exceptions I am always struck by noticing that the great guitarists are all about two or three inches shorter than I am. I think that helps!

Julian Bream, along with John Williams, was my great influence as a young guitarist. I awaited every recording with breathless anticipation. With Bream, it was often the new pieces he commissioned, but also his revival of great works by Fernando Sor and Mauro Giuliani. The breadth of repertoire he made his own, for the lute as well as the guitar, was impressive. But in some ways, John Williams was the more important influence for me. His Bach was better than anyone else's on guitar and his integral recording of all the lute suites was an absolute revelation. His concerto performances, with the exception of Pepe Romero's of the Aranjuez, were also beyond compare. Julian Bream was really not a strong concerto player. The other area where I give the edge, though just barely, to John Williams, was in Spanish repertoire. Julian Bream recorded more of it and did so very well, but there was just something magical about Williams' performances.

I think what it ultimately came down to was that Williams, from an early age, had excellent instrumental instruction, first from his father, an amateur guitarist, and then from Segovia. The self-taught background of Bream shows itself, in my opinion, in the stress and strain that seems to underly his performances. Mind you, in contemporary repertoire this works to his advantage as Williams sounds rather too relaxed sometimes!

I studied for a few years with a student of Julian Bream's--he had very, very few private students. From what I was told, studying with Bream was rather like Marine boot camp: first he tore you down and then he built you up again, but it seemed to me that the second part of that process was less successful than the first part.

A final thought: the great successes that Bream achieved, entirely well-earned, are likely no longer possible for a classical guitarist. That is how much the business has changed. A superb performer like Marcin Dylla will likely never win or even be nominated for a Grammy. The wages of commercialization...

For an envoi, one of Bream's great performances, the Passacaglia from Britten's Nocturnal:


8 comments:

Dex Quire said...

Thank you for that fine recollection of Julian Bream. My introduction to Bream was his early 60s album on which appears his rendition of Ravel's 'Pavane pour une infante défunte'. I was impressed with his interpretive power but I also had a thought that I had never associated with any other grand master: here is a performer who doesn't mind letting the world know that the guitar is a wooden box with strings attached. That is I never felt that Bream was ashamed of the guitar's humble origins. Wonderful his love for the guitar ... thanks again Bryan for posting this ...!

Bryan Townsend said...

My pleasure, Dex. Reading it over, I suspect I described very poorly the kind of artist Bream was. I entirely failed to mention his brilliant palette of color, his energy, his genius in interpretation. There are some pieces that no-one really knew how to play until he showed us.

Steven said...

I thought there might be more comments for this post. The example Julian Bream set meant everything to me when I first picked up the CG. It was at that time I was becoming enthusiastic about classical music, particularly very modern and very early music, both of which Bream of course excelled at playing. I'd grown up playing electric guitar as a teenager so CG was the natural choice of instrument to learn when I discovered classical music -- but the Bream repertoire made me *want* to play the guitar, rather than it merely being the convenient choice. His repertoire was so impressive. I still remember listening over and over again to the Nocturnal, the Berkeley Sonatina, the Martin Quatre Pieces... and to his whole album of Dowland. I would love to listen to the 'Farewell' fantasie late at night, with its astonishing harmonies, and when I finally got my hands on a old CG that was the first piece I tried to learn. I failed of of course -- I could hardly read music, nor did I have much of a clue how to pluck with the right hand, so I spent several days struggling through the first several bars. But now I can play it without trouble, except for the odd left-hand shift. And like Bream I love playing the chromatic fantasies late at night alone in the dark.

It is disappointing what you say about Bream's teaching method. But perhaps he had changed by the time of his retirement? His students in recent years are fine successful players and have spoken, I think, highly of his teaching.

I had one small interaction with Bream in that he replied to a letter I wrote him. A couple of years back, when I started to seek out guitar lessons, I discovered I was distantly related to Julian Bream. A long-dead great aunt's husband was Bream's mother's cousin -- or something like that. Having found this out, I was persuaded by several people I knew to use it as an excuse to write to him. So I did, saying I am enjoying learning the guitar and that I was amused to discover I was related to him. I asked if he had any advice for someone like myself starting out on the instrument. Amazingly he replied (I had heard he was terrible at replying to letters, and not in great health either). The letter was written on some torn-off notebook paper (no pretensions...) He wrote a bit about his mother and told me -- underlining many words several times over for great emphasis -- to never become a professional guitarist 'unless you require an ego-massage from time to time!', to leave it as a hobby if you want to enjoy it, and he implied he was happy to be retired and have concert playing behind him. Not the sought of advice I was necessarily looking for -- I think I have some talent and skill but there's no chance of me ever becoming a concert guitarist! -- but good advice nonetheless. And I still get quite a thrill when I hold a letter written to me by the great man.

Bryan Townsend said...

Steven, thanks so much for adding to my account just those things I was missing! I am very glad to hear that Bream became a more supportive teacher in his later years. I learned from Pepe Romero that one of the greatest things one can try to pass on to students is a level of confidence. Your biography sounds so much like my own, but in my case the piece I took up as soon as I switched from electric to classical was the Bach Chaconne. By the bottom of the first page I realized that I had about ten years of study ahead of me before I could attempt it!

I used to have letters from Manuel Barrueco, John Duarte and Leo Brouwer, but sadly they were all lost due to an evil moving company...

Steven said...

Well yes, I discovered this blog about that time, maybe a bit earlier, and found your biography encouraging, though I think I was a few years later than you in picking up the CG. My concern was that learning the guitar as an adult my development would be limited and I would therefore never be able to play the great works I so love. Fortunately I found and indeed met people like yourself who showed it was possible. It seems less unusual to start late with guitar than with other classical instruments.

I tried to learn the Bach Chaconne too but had to settle with playing just those glorious opening chords over and over again. I still like to play those chords first thing in the morning, can put me in the right mood for the rest of the day. Sometimes I read through the rest, but it's not pretty...

Out of interest have you heard Pepe Romero's playing lately? I was hoping to one day hear him live, but seeing recent recordings on youtube I fear his playing is not what it was. Guitarists seem to decline faster with age than other musicians, no? Or perhaps I am just more sensitive to it as a guitarist.

What an awful loss! Having been born well after the age of letters I am terribly nostalgiac about it all and greatly cherish the few hand-written letters in my possession.

Bryan Townsend said...

I switched from electric to classical when I was 19/20 years old, yes, quite late, but I did have a pretty developed LH from playing bass so I just had to bust my ass to learn RH technique! The three pieces that really compelled me to become an accomplished guitarist were the Bach Chaconne, Asturias by Albeniz and the Concierto de Aranjuez by Rodrigo. Oddly, the only one that I didn't learn and successfully perform was the Bach. Instead I played the Cello Suite No. 1, the Lute Suite No. 1 and especially the Lute Suite No. 4.

We invited Pepe down for pairs of concerts a few years ago. The first pair was perhaps eight or nine years ago? Brilliant playing. Then a couple of years later we had him back and it was rather different. The technique was still there, but his memory was getting spotty.

In the last few days I have been watching a few Bream videos and it is obvious to me now (when it wasn't so earlier) that he has enormous tension in his RH--and there is nothing positive about that. It causes a lot of uneven passages and it must have been a real struggle to play. He plays through sheer willpower! Because he is such a great musician, he can still make the piece work, but watching his RH I am amazed that he manages some passages.

Steven said...

Heh, the bass player in our band at school in fact started out as a classical guitarist, but my friend and I told him to stop wasting time the classical guitar and become a bass player in our band instead. And he did. I feel quite guilty about that now... He right-hand bass technique was superb though.

Bream's whole body looks extraordinarily tense to me. He leans heavily to the left and into the guitar. And his facial contortions go way beyond displays of musical feeling. I recall an old interview where he talked about his imperfect technique and how his technique sometimes lags behind his musical ambitions, saying to the interviewer that people must remember he was essentially self-taught. But one guitarist told me that this is part of what made Bream concerts so exciting, really on the edge of your seat. Even listening to recordings I can hear, I think, that 'sheer willpower' you describe, and it's bloody exciting -- really gives the music some "gin and fizz" as Bream might have said.

Bryan Townsend said...

Yes, Bream was a unique player. Most people dealing with a high level of tension like that simply cannot overcome it--he most certainly could. But it was for this reason that I don't think he did much teaching. His approach could not be taught.

This gin and fizz also made his duo with Williams much more exciting. They were never the perfect duo, but they were an exciting one because they tended to play against one another to great effect.