Saturday, March 21, 2015

The Debate

One of the most pleasing things about doing this blog is the quality of commentary that it seems to encourage. I have had comments from music critics like Anne Midgette of the Washington Post, composers like Jennifer Higdon of the Curtis Institute and professors of music like Ethan Hein of New York University. And of course, music lovers from many countries. But what is almost universally true is that the debates are courteous and informed. It seems as if the goal is actually to understand music better, not stoke one's own ego. In the over three years of this blog, and thousands of comments, I have only had to remove one (1) comment! Usually I learn a great deal from them!

And this is the case with the last run. Sparked by an article on NewMusicBox by Ethan Hein, we got into a few interesting questions. Many of the comments were put on a very old post titled "The Tyranny of the Backbeat" which I link to so you can go read them. There have been several since I linked yesterday. Others are on the post that got this debate started, titled "Sampling". Go have a look there too. Leave a comment if you wish.

It seems as if there are almost no egocentrics in the world of music. Except for record executives and conductors, of course...

(that was a little joke, sort-of)

I am working on a post on the Emancipation of the Dissonance, but I don't know when I will get to it as right now I am working on a composition.

In the meantime, have a listen to this, Einojuhani Rautavaara, Symphony No. 1:



No comments: