Friday, June 14, 2013

Townsend: Suite No. 1, Finale

This piece seemed to just pop into my head while I was in the shower. I like to think of it as equal parts Jimi Hendrix and Dmitri Shostakovich. The basic pitch structure comes from the so-called "Hendrix" chord which he used in "Purple Haze". The chord contains both a major and a minor third. But I chose to understand it as containing a minor third and a diminished fourth, one of Shostakovich's favorite intervals. The rhythmic structure is just me. But it took Ken, my recording engineer to point out that the 'lick' does bear a family resemblance to the lick from "Day Tripper" by the Beatles (actually, John Lennon). I never really noticed, but he may be right! "Day Tripper" is one of my favorite Beatles tunes.

This is a fun ending to the suite so I have put in some photos from the session of myself and Ken and one of my beautiful assistant, grabbing a snack in between takes. I hope she will forgive me!

Ken, by the way, is a really super recording engineer. The last guy he was working with was Donald Fagan from Steely Dan, so I should be quite flattered he is helping me out.

Enjoy!



No comments: