Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Second Year Blogiversary

I started this blog on June 5th, 2011, so I missed my own second anniversary. It was a busy week as on June 2 I was recording my Suite No. 1. Sometimes I miss my own birthday!

So what have I learned from doing the blog? Quite a lot, really. I have always enjoyed exploring new things and the blog gives me the reason, opportunity and occasion to do so every day. I've discovered some new composers like Mieczysław Weinberg. I've found the time to investigate and evaluate other composers like Sergei Prokofiev and in the process getting to know their music better. One of the best things about doing the blog is that it has attracted some very interesting commentors who have contributed a lot. Most recently, the post on Dutilleux and Martin sparked some very wise observations.

Traffic on the blog, even though it probably only attracts people fairly serious about music, has grown steadily from the beginning. I guess it will plateau sooner or later, but shows no signs of that yet.

I find it fun to go back and look at posts from a year or two ago as some I have even forgotten having written. Here is a post I did on the great harpsichordist Gustav Leonhardt on the occasion of his retirement at 83 years! He passed away not long after. Here is another about an interesting aspect of Romantic aesthetics. Here is one about the trials and tribulations of being an orchestral percussionist.

Well, enough of this maundering! Let's end with some music. Here is Capriccio sopra La Spagnoletta for chamber consort by Girolamo Frescobaldi (1583 - 1643), born in Ferrara, Italy:


UPDATE: And no, I really don't know how to spell "blogiversary"!

2 comments:

Craig said...

Sincere congratulations on reaching this milestone! Many blogs do not get this far, and all indications are that you're going strong.

To another year!

Bryan Townsend said...

Thanks so much, Craig! And thanks above all for reading the blog on a regular basis.