I haven't thought about my time in Alicante in detail for a long time and I don't recall exactly what we did in the very first lesson. But I do recall that we did not spend time on technical exercises. Instead, one of the first things Tomás did was to have me work on some simple pieces from this collection:
As you can see, it is well worn. I bought this in 1974 when I was in Spain. It was published in 1956 and is a collection of music for vihuela by Valderrábano, Milán, Mudarra and Narváez from the 16th century. One of the first pieces I learned was this one:
I needed to start with something simple because I had not been taught the basics in any organized way. But this is not the kind of piece any other teacher would likely have assigned. José Tomás was unusual in that he had a particularly strong interest in early music: the vihuelistas of the 16th century, the English lutenists of the 16th century, Girolamo Frescobaldi of the 17th century and J. S. Bach and Sylvius Leopold Weiss, both of the 18th century. He took a scholarly approach and made a number of his own transcriptions of their music for guitar. His fingerings are particularly highly regarded. If I had been with a more conventional teacher I likely would have been put through a hearty list of studies by Aguado, Giuliani and Sor. But instead he had me work on this which cultivates one's sensitivity to counterpoint and voice-leading. One of the things Tomás was known for was playing an eight string guitar so he wouldn't have to leave out those low bass notes in Weiss.
I'm sorry to say that I don't recall every piece that we worked on, but they included the first English Suite by John Duarte, Villa-Lobos Etudes (just nos 1 and 8), the Prelude no. 1 by Villa-Lobos, the first Cello Suite by Bach, studies by Stephen Dodgson and I think some preludes by Manuel Ponce. It is hard to recall because I collected a lot of Tomás' transcriptions while I was there but didn't work on them until much later. These included a Fantasia by John Dowland, La Frescobalda by Frescobaldi, and some Bach.
One week I took the Cello Suite No. 1 to him and played the prelude. This was in the transcription in D major by John Duarte with added bass lines that nearly everyone was playing. Tomás didn't actually say anything, he just picked up his guitar and dug out an edition for cello of the suites. He sight-read through the first suite in the original key of G major, which he could do on his eight string. Then he just said, in this key it sounds full and rich and doesn't need any added bass notes. Very true. And frankly, the problem with adding bass notes to Bach is that they are never as good as what Bach himself might have written.
I didn't get to it when I was in Spain, but years later I took Tomás' advice and figured out how to play the suite as close to the original key as possible. You can do it in A major, just a tone higher, if you tune the sixth string to D. After working on the whole suite for a while, I decided that it worked very well if you also tuned the third string to F#, which we usually did for lute and vihuela music. Here is my recording of the Prelude to the Cello Suite No. 1 played in A major. These are exactly the notes the cello plays, nothing added.
That's enough for one post. Next time I will talk about what it was like living in Alicante, Spain and the other guitar students that were there.


No comments:
Post a Comment