Friday, February 16, 2024

Friday Miscellanea

I have been a fan of opera ever since I saw my first European production which was Schoenberg's Moses und Aron in Madrid in 2016. This was designed by Romeo Castelluci and I was simply blown away by the production. Follow the link for a photo and some details. In the New York Times yesterday there was a review of another Castelluci production: A Model for Modern ‘Ring’ Operas Is Unfolding in Brussels.

He trusts the libretto to tell the story, and he trusts it to be timely on its own. After all, the “Ring” has always been relevant; that is the nature of mythic storytelling. And he isn’t misguided in having the operas stand alone. They are distinct — “Siegfried,” for example, an interjection of opera buffa, and “Das Rheingold” a seamless, proto-cinematic vision for the art form’s future. In the first two installments, Castellucci has presented an extended, visual essay on the essence of each work, his staging behaving like Wagner’s score in constantly commenting on and illuminating the action. The results have novelistic sweep and ambiguity, and are both persuasive and breathtakingly theatrical.

The world of “Das Rheingold,” in Castellucci’s production, is one of tribalism and violent hierarchy. Valhalla, the recently completed home of the gods, is a fortress built on loot. Wotan and Fricka, its rulers, enter by navigating — maybe even trampling — the bodies, made to look nude, of countless people laid out across the stage. Surrounding them are statues and reliefs based on the Elgin Marbles, the Greek friezes that have long been housed at the British Museum.


 I will be in Salzburg for the festival this summer and have requested a ticket to a new production of Don Giovanni on July 28 designed by Castelluci and conducted by Teodor Currenzis. This may not be the Golden Age of opera composition, but it is certainly one of opera production.

* * *

One of the reasons I am devoting a lot of time to the study of Ludwig Wittgenstein these days is that he is unquestionably someone who was not out to establish his brand as a philosophical guru or "influencer." There are fewer and fewer like him these days: Everyone’s a sellout now.

The internet has made it so that no matter who you are or what you do — from nine-to-five middle managers to astronauts to house cleaners — you cannot escape the tyranny of the personal brand. For some, it looks like updating your LinkedIn connections whenever you get promoted; for others, it’s asking customers to give you five stars on Google Reviews; for still more, it’s crafting an engaging-but-authentic persona on Instagram. And for people who hope to publish a bestseller or release a hit record, it’s “building a platform” so that execs can use your existing audience to justify the costs of signing a new artist.

There is a rather depressing example in the recent career trend of Jordan Peterson, someone who, a few years ago, I would have cited as an example of someone with the highest standards. But since he has started buying expensive suits and hysterically alerting us to a new crisis every day on YouTube, I tend to steer clear of him. The pre-success Peterson can be seen in this clip. Grubby t-shirt, long pauses for thought and a genuinely spontaneous examination of some important ideas.

* * *

Here's an interesting memoir of opera-lover Dana Gioia: The Imaginary Operagoer: A Memoir

There was something shameful about loving opera. Especially for a boy. Opera was pretentious, boring, effete, and effeminate. By the time I was ten, I understood the unsavory reputation of the art. Opera represented everything that my childhood in postwar America asked me not to be.

I had never been to the opera. I had never even seen an opera house, except in old movies. I knew from the Marx Brothers’ A Night at the Opera that rich people went there, but they didn’t much enjoy it. Only Groucho had any fun. The patrons were old and overweight—bejeweled matrons and potbellied bankers stuffed into tuxedos. There was also something sinister about opera’s orgy of opulence. In Lon Chaney’s The Phantom of the Opera, the opera house was built over the city sewers. A mad composer emerged from this mephitic underworld to kidnap and kill. He wore elegant clothes, including an opera cape, but without his stylish mask, he was a monster. Opera was somehow both tedious and malevolent.

* * *

I think we are developing a theme today: opera! I said above that I became an opera lover in 2016. This was shockingly late in life. Actually I had had a certain amount of exposure to opera before, a bit of listening in university music courses and even more directly, I played the guitar parts in a number of operas by Rossini and others and even the mandolin part in Don Giovanni which I learned specifically for the occasion (and I haven't played the mandolin since!). I've even been to a few opera productions in both Canada and Mexico. But I didn't experience what opera is really about until I started going to European productions. There might be some good ones in New York and possibly Toronto or other urban centers in North America, but I haven't seen them. Europe however is teeming with spectacular opera productions. It really is an absurd art form, opera, because it is obviously out-of-date and ridiculously expensive. For one thing you have to build a large expensive building that can be used for little else. But there really is nothing like a great opera in a great production. And no, a video is not the same. All you can get is a faint hint of the real experience.

The history of opera is a long and interesting one. Have a look at A History of Opera: The Last Four Hundred Years by Carolyn Abbate and Roger Parker. There was one opera I became very fond of early on and that was the first opera that has found a niche in the repertoire: L'Orfeo by Claudio Monteverdi. Here is a recent production by Les Arts Florissants:

The New York Times asks the musical question: Schubert’s Operas Were Failures. Is Their Music Worth Saving?

It’s surprising that opera eluded Schubert, who by most counts started about 20 stage works, completed fewer than a dozen and saw the premieres of just two. After all, he wrote some of the most beautiful vocal music in the repertoire: the song cycles “Die Schöne Müllerin” and “Winterreise,” and hundreds of beloved lieder like “Gretchen am Spinnrade” and “Ave Maria.” 

And yet the operas remain curiosities better heard than seen, often composed to clumsy librettos and denied the revisions that could have accompanied rehearsals.

Another great composer that could not solve the mystery of opera was Joseph Haydn.

* * *

Israel Daramola on the challenges facing music journalism

Can you talk about the state of music journalism now and how it compares to the past?

There’s kind of nothing left, really. I mean, there’s a couple of big brands that still remain, like Rolling Stone and Billboard, and even Spin is still around, but a lot of them have become content farms, especially online, and very few of them are still publishing anything in print. So a lot of it is just hanging by a thread. We’re almost seeing, especially in music, the dawning of another kind of blog era, where there’s a lot of boutique blogs and a lot of local localized music blogs. But as far as a thing that’s covering music, period, it’s probably like one writer at all the major newspapers and outlets and then a handful of music publications that still exist.

I suppose what is amusing about this is that, as far as I can see, music journalism as discussed here is really just pop music journalism and that turned into lifestyle journalism a long time ago--along with simple pieces promoting the latest.

* * *

Let's have a non-opera envoi today as we have already had so much opera. Here, from Cathedral Brixen in South Tyrol (the most Austrian part of Italy) is the Missa in angustiis No. 11 in D minor (nicknamed the Nelson Mass) one of six Joseph Haydn wrote towards the end of his life. Some have argued that this is Haydn's greatest single composition.




17 comments:

Steven said...

There are now some really amazing things that can be done in opera productions, for sure, but some of the productions are so ridiculous. Like the last ROH Don Giovanni where there was no commendatore statue dragging Don Giovanni into hell; rather, the guilty lecherer was left alone (dark and weird staging as always) in a psychological hell of his own making. But yes when it works opera is utter magic -- it's unlike any other art form. It may be far from a Golden Age, but there have been some really good operas in the last couple of decades: Written on Skin, The Importance of Being Earnest, L’Amour de loin... They're the sort of strange imaginings that could only be operas.

Don't know if you saw this story about how Alicia Key's vocal wobbles at the Super Bowl were subsequently edited when the video was later uploaded to YouTube. I have no idea who Alicia Keys is or even what the Super Bowl is, but both are apparently very important and it's an curious example of the fakeness of recordings, rewriting history etc.
https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/12/24071248/alicia-keys-vocals-changed-super-bowl-2024-usher-halftime-performance

Bryan Townsend said...

You are so lucky, Steven, to be where you can see premieres of new operas such as the ones you mention. I saw a couple of 20th century operas the last time I was at Salzburg and am hoping to see a Weinberg opera this coming summer. But I haven't heard any of the new ones.

The post-factum editing of Alicia Keys is certainly nothing new. The sterility of recording has overwhelmed virtually all non-classical music performance. This is why, when we do hear the real thing, unedited, no autotune, unprocessed timbre and so on, it can make such a strong impression.

Ah, you are also lucky, I surmise, not to know what the Super Bowl is!

Steven said...

I only know it has something to do with American football -- I have no idea why it is significant!

Yes I am lucky in many respects. For all the financial problems, for now London still has some interesting opera. One of the London conservatoires actually has an opera-making Masters.

I'm particularly conscious of the way guitar recordings now get edited. Except for one or two players, none live are as perfectly clean as in their recordings. And the recorded sound is moving further from the live sound; Siccas guitars in particular give every video this compressed, dynamic, fiddled-about-with sound.

Bryan Townsend said...

The Super Bowl is the final championship game of the National Football League in the US, so it is roughly equivalent, I guess, to The Ashes in cricket or the Stanley Cup in hockey. Over the years the show presented by musical artists at halftime has become the most prominent "gig" in popular music.

One of these years I will make London the goal of my annual pilgrimage to Europe, I suspect!

I attended a talk once by a French horn player about the consequences of recording. He called recordings, more and more edited and processed all the time, the equivalent of Frankenstein's monster. When you go out on tour you are confronted at every concert with the digitally reanimated corpse of your processed studio performance in the minds of your audience. And, of course, it can never be the same.

Except in the case of Grigory Sokolov! Since he never makes studio recordings, for him it is not a problem.

Maury said...

I'm glad you came around to opera as I think I was about the only commenter here who mentioned it regularly. I don't find it surprising that neither Haydn nor Schubert mastered the opera. Their music is wonderful but nondramatic. What is more surprising to me is the failure of Schumann to compose a good opera.

The real problem with opera of course is the failure of modern composers to produce mainstream type dramatic works that excite the opera audience. Yes there are niche or quirky operas that can be interesting listens but will never compete with even the lesser efforts of the established list. In this vein I would recommend Fabio Vacchi's 1994 comic opera La Station Thermale.

But we will have to put up with Eurotrash, otherwise known as Regie theater as long as a new repertoire is MIA.

Bryan Townsend said...

Actually, Maury, I have talked about opera quite a few times. But as I said, I came late to a love of opera so perhaps not as many as if I had been an opera lover my whole life. I certainly don't have the depth of knowledge that I would have had. You might consider it ironic that the opera that did really capture me was Schoenberg's Moses und Aron. And I have enjoyed "Eurotrash" productions of 20th century easily as much as earlier ones. The operas that I found congenial earlier in my life were early ones like L'Orfeo and even the occasional one by Rameau like Les Indes galantes. I think the very last operas I will come to appreciate are probably those by Wagner!

Maury said...

No I'm not surprised that Moses und Aron captured your interest if you saw a stage version. It stages much better than it sounds IMO but to be clear I am referring more to the orchestra, which chitters aimlessly to my ears, more than the voices. The choral sections seem the best written to me. Occasionally the Moses and Aron parts have melodic or dramatic interest too. I have a DVD with Boulez that is reasonably staged. It will always be a fringe work though unlike Berg's Wozzeck and Lulu or Shostakovich' Lady Macbeth.

Regarding Regietheater I am not universally opposed to it if it provides a different slant on the opera or updates it in apt fashion. Eurotrash is of course a subset of Regietheater. I can well understand the motivation to see something different from Central European audiences in particular who have seen countless productions of the same repertoire over and over again. So I blame the Eurotrash directors less than I do the modern composers who are really failing audiences.

Bryan Townsend said...

I barely feel entitled to much of an opinion in this area because I really haven't seem very many operas in high-quality productions. And the only large city I have spent a lot of time in was Montreal which is not a center for opera. So I just have not had the opportunities that, say, Steven has had, being located in London. But any time I visit Salzburg I am going to attend at least a couple of operas. And one little project is to finish watching the rest of the DVDs of the Salzburg Festival complete Mozart operas from 2006.

Wenatchee the Hatchet said...

I hardly ever listen to opera. Weirdly, perhaps, the operas I have seen and heard are all strictly 20th century, as best I can remember.

I went and saw Ewartung when Seattle Opera staged it. I've seen Bluebeard's Castle twice, maybe three times. I also checked out a DVD of Wozzeck from the Seattle City library system and plan to get around to Lady Macbeth of Mtinsk District at some point.

I only dimly remember The Rake's Progress. Copland's The Tender Land kinda bored me. Carlysle Floyd's Susannah has two or three fantastic numbers but mostly doesn't stick with me.

I have even listened to all of Scott Joplin's Treemonisha. I like the music but ... that libretto ... man, I've picked up more dramatic tension in episodes of Blue's Clues episodes I watched with my niece than Scott Joplin's libretto and I LOVE Scott Joplin's music. :)

But, for all that, I am not what I'd call an opera buff. My experiences with choral music and vocal music are more literally liturgical. Frank Martin's Mass for Double Chorus? Oh yeah! Byrd's Masses? For sure! Ditto Poulenc (I'll forgive that he didn't set the Credo to music).

Maury said...

Well Wenatchee there is Poulenc's Dialogues des Carmelites. Also Martin did a take on Tristan and Isolde in his opera Le Vin Herbe. Don't feel bad. Most people are not opera fans. I give you props for actually attending the opera occasionally.

Steven said...

Well, I'm certainly not an opera expert, but I do go to quite a few and I try to keep reasonably up-to-date with what's happening in London (which I live near, but not in -- thankfully!) So my two pennies worth... I wonder if blaming modern composers is unfair. To get an opera performed is a monumental and expensive collaborative effort and companies are reluctant to stage much new opera. Those composers that are chosen are not necessarily ideal. As Bryan has pointed out before, opera composition is somewhat apart from other composition. Big-names composers known for their concert music get the commissions here (understandably), and they may write clever, compelling music, but not the best opera. (There are certainly exceptions, of course.) Also, when I think about it, young composers don't generally seem as interested in opera writing. Multimedia seems to the big thing now. So I'm doubtful that a great new opera repertoire will be made.

Maury said...

Steven, You are lucky to be near London. May I ask just briefly the operas you have seen that you like best independent of the staging? Any from the the last 100 years?

I don't think I am being unduly unfair to modern composers. No one is asking them to create grand operas of the type that reigned between 1840 and 1940. But as was noted there have been a number of quirky interesting smaller forces operas of the past 60 years of which I cited one myself. So modern composers have some dramatic flair.

Even Richard Strauss created several of what we would call chamber operas today - Ariadne Auf Naxos, Intermezzo and Capriccio. These don't require large forces. And of course in the Baroque era all kinds of great operas used very small orchestras to accompany the singers. And occasionally modern operas are staged. So writing operas of 100 to 150 minutes for casts of 6-10 singers and 20 to 50 players does not seem like a farfetched undertaking for a modern composer or smaller opera houses for that matter.

More to your point is your observation which I'm sure is correct that younger composers simply have no interest in the form. That is a more serious issue if widespread. Of course it only takes a few big successes to suddenly interest people who weren't interested prior.

Bryan Townsend said...

It comes to mind that there is one contemporary opera that I was very involved with: Hans Werner Henze's El Cimmaron, the narrative of a Cuban slave. It is scored for baritone, flute, guitar and percussion with everyone doubling on some percussion. I did three Canadian premieres of it, one in Montreal and the others in Vancouver and Victoria. It was a very fulfilling work to perform. We did concert staged performances with no fancy production. It is basically a "chamber opera."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Cimarrón_(Henze)

Steven said...

Happy to answer that Maury! The ones I liked best that written in the last 100 years: Written on Skin and Picture a day like this (Benjamin); In the Locked Room (Watkins); The Importance of Being Earnest and Alice's Adventures Underground (Barry); Vanessa (Barber); Lady Macbeth (Shostakovich). There are of course more I know from recordings: St Francis (Messiaen), L’Amour de loin (Saariaho), most by Britten, Silent Night (Puts), Il Prigioniero (Dallapiccola), The Minotaur (Birtwhistle)... I'm sure I'll think of more later... Whether any of these, out of all the operas I've heard, are among my favourites, I confess I'm not sure. I am a little bit reactionary with opera; my top favourites probably span the period from Orfeo to Les Troyens, with a few exceptions.

I've met postgrads here who have written or are writing operas, so there certainly is some interest, though not like the interest in multimedia and newer forms. All chamber operas (and really quite small ones -- single digits), for the obvious reason. I take your point that modern composers don't have to write large-scale opera. But I don't see much general interest in new chamber opera, whereas there still is for Royal Opera or ENO premieres. It's in places like that that the big successes happen. Or at least in London. I'm disgracefully ignorant about most other places.

Maury said...

Steven,
Thanks very much for your informative reply. Here's a listing for this year from the Royal Opera: L’Olimpiade 13–25 May 2024. Brought to life on the intimate space of the Linbury Theatre stage, this baroque rarity from 1734 promises invigorating feats of vocal virtuosity.

I assume they are not using a standard orchestra for this Vivaldi opera. Actually they should have disambiguated better because Pergolesi also wrote an opera on L'Olimpiade around the same time. Both are great by the way if you like Baroque opera. Also I thought as an American furriner that Glyndebourne was the preferred site for more offbeat operas or stagings? Thirty years ago I would have also thought that a big scale opera was required for notoriety but now I think that is much less a factor.

In the US the Met is probably the equivalent of the Royal Opera. The Met is notoriously hidebound and is usually the last place that mounts a newer or at least non-canon opera. But there are quite a few more adventurous regional opera houses in Chicago, LA, Houston and also Santa Fe, which is sort of a US Glyndebourne.

Steven said...

Royal Opera does do a number of premieres. I'd definitely say it is more adventurous than the Met. The Linbury Theatre, which is where the Vivaldi will be, is an underground newly-built small hall in the Royal Opera House. It's very fine, and more experimental works and Baroque operas are getting performed because of it. Early days but very promising. So you may be right about the possibility of breakout chamber opera. Glynebourne is pretty conservative -- I can't think of any new operas there since Brett Dean's Hamlet several years ago.

Steven said...

Yes I think I will definitely be going to the Vivaldi...