Wednesday, June 16, 2021

The Salzburg Festival is a Go!

I was very disappointed last summer that the Salzburg Festival was cancelled as I found it such a valuable experience the year before. I posted every day on my experiences there. I have been on pins and needles for months now as to whether this year was going to go forward or not. And there were some commentators that assured me that there was no real chance it would! I can now say that it is definitely a go and I was allotted all but two of the tickets I requested. The ones I didn't get were for the Chicago Symphony who cancelled their performances and for Berlioz The Damnation of Faust (don't know the reason for that). I do have twelve tickets that I just downloaded from the website: Salzburg Festival.

The process, for me at least, was to request all the tickets back when the program was announced in December of 2020. At that point in time, everything was rather up in the air due to the pandemic, but they were working very hard to put everything together. In early May I was informed that I was going to receive twelve tickets (out of the fourteen I requested), which is a pretty good result. If you want tickets, especially to the most popular concerts, it is best to request them early. Online ticket sales of unallotted seats just went on sale early this month so you can probably still purchase them.

Here are the concerts I have tickets for:

  • Morton Feldman: four pieces for chorus and instrumental ensemble including Rothko Chapel
  • Pianist Arcadi Volodos in recital with music by Brahms and Schubert
  • Arnold Schoenberg: Pierrot Lunaire plus works by Johann Strauss in arrangements by Schoenberg and Webern
  • Morton Feldman: his opera Neither, text by Samuel Beckett.
  • Teodor Currenzis conducting his musicAeterna chorus and orchestra in music by Rameau
  • Benjamin Bernheim and Carrie-Ann Matheson in a recital of Dichterliebe by Robert Schumann and a song cycle by Ernest Chausson.
  • Riccardo Muti conducting the Vienna Philharmonic with chorus and soloists in Beethoven's Missa Solemnis
  • Richard Strauss: Elektra with Franz Welser-Möst and the Vienna Philharmonic
  • Luigi Nono, Intolleranza 1960 with dancers from the Salzburg Experimental Academy of Dance and the Vienna Philharmonic
  • Mozarteum Orchestra conducted by Jörg Widman in music by Mozart
  • Daniil Trifonov, pianist, in music by Bach: the D minor Chaconne arranged by Brahms, followed by the Art of Fugue.
  • Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester conducted by Manfred Honeck: music by Wagner and Shostakovich (Symphony No. 10)
And that's it! I had to miss a long list of fantastic concerts because they were outside my dates or because they conflicted with other concerts. Every day there are three or four concerts of superb quality plus plays, movies and workshops. There is no Summer Academy this year, so there won't be masterclasses or student concerts.

I am seeing three operas, two of them avant-garde, also two concerts of Morton Feldman. Every year they do a focus on a particular neglected composer. This year it is Feldman whose music is being rediscovered these days. I am taking the opportunity to hear works that I never usually have the opportunity to like the Missa Solemnis, Dichterliebe and Pierrot Lunaire. These are pieces very widely recognized as being of superb quality but you rarely get to hear them: even in major urban centers.

Two years ago, in a single week, I heard three of the finest pianists performing today: Igor Levit, Yevgeny Kissin and Grigory Sokolov. This year I get to hear two more: Arcadi Volodos and Daniil Trifonov.

As before, I will do daily posts with comments on the performances and the other pleasures of Salzburg. I might get a chance to take an excursion out of Salzburg as well.

8 comments:

Maury said...

Have a safe trip and enjoy the Festival. I assume you have reviewed the rather surprising section on past infection in Preventive Measures

Bryan Townsend said...

Actually I can offer documentation for all their requirements where only one is required.

Will Wilkin said...

Wow! looks like an incredible music adventure! Not to mention travel! I like little of the Morton Feldman music I've heard, "late piano works of Beethoven and Feldman" was the bill at a recital I heard maybe 8 years ago. I loved it! Congratulations Bryan, that festival is designed for you! And maybe for me too someday when I have means for me and my son to get there....

Bryan Townsend said...

I really think it is worth the effort because you can hear the kinds of programs that you rarely get a chance to hear elsewhere.

Will Wilkin said...

I must add that my previous comment should have said "I like THE little of the Morton Feldman music I've heard." Leaving out that one little THE changed the meaning in a bad way. I still remember the Feldman piece by sound if not name, and thinking of it now makes me long to hear it again. It was rather long and slowly built over time....

Bryan Townsend said...

Thanks for the clarification! I was scratching my head a bit as to what you meant.

David said...

Bryan, I am envious of your upcoming adventure in Salzburg. It promises to be a stellar experience and I will enjoy it vicariously through your postings here.

Thinking about the reopening situation in Europe, I browsed around for news of the month long MozartFest held annually in June, in Wurzburg. 2021 is the 100th anniversary of the festival. It has actually been proceeding with live audiences. You may be interested in this story at the DW website:

https://www.dw.com/en/the-mozart-festival-in-w%C3%BCrzburg-celebrates-100-years-amid-pandemic/a-57720119

Beyond the music, it is interesting that the program has a significant element of discussion, "How much Mozart does one need?" The story highlights the view that, "Mozart has long become synonymous with art and culture, said Evelyn Meining in response, highlighting that the real question therefore is how much education and how much culture people need — and how prepared we are as a society, especially during the COVID pandemic, to fight for the preservation of art and culture.

[To me this is evidence that more than the Atlantic Ocean separates us from Europe - at least when it comes to art and culture.]

Enjoy the music and the food in Salzburg.

Bryan Townsend said...

I'm really looking forward to the experience this summer. And I promise to share all of it via the blog! Thanks for the article on the Mozart festival. Looks well worth attending. The Camerata Salzburg conducted by Jorg Widman, one of the concerts there, is also one of the concerts I will attend in Salzburg.

Yes, Europe and North America have a very different cultural environment. My musical studies happened in three places: Spain, Austria and Quebec, which explains my aesthetic leanings, I think.