Monday, December 14, 2020

Salzburg 2021, part 3

As I optimistically believe that I am going to get to Salzburg for the festival next summer, I have been doing a lot of planning since the program became available online: 

https://www.salzburgerfestspiele.at/en/tickets/programme?season=136

Most of the really important concerts are clustered in the first three weeks of August which means that some really interesting programs like the one with the Stravinsky Symphony of Psalms and the one combining Steve Reich and Olivier Messiaen, both in the third week of July, look to be out of contention unless you can plan a visit of four or five weeks. In my case this just isn't possible so it looks as if I will need to schedule my stay for the first three weeks of August. But after going through all the programs I find that I have only selected nine concerts falling in those three weeks. So now I need to go back and pick several more as I was envisioning attending fifteen concerts over a three-week span. I left out most of the orchestra concerts and things like the Mozart Matinees so let's have a look at them:

Teodor Currentzis with his orchestra and choir are doing an entire program of Rameau on Aug. 14 so that looks pretty interesting. Currentzis is one of the most innovative conductors on the scene these days. On Aug 27 the Chicago Symphony under Riccardo Muti will be doing the Firebird Suite which might be worth attending. On the 13th, 15th and 16th of August Muti will conduct the Vienna Philharmonic in a performance of Beethoven's Missa Solemnis. Aug 14 and 15 will see a Mozart Matinee of two symphonies and two violin concertos with Isabelle Faust and the Mozarteum Orchestra. So there is certainly good music to hear.

Of course, after I pick out all the concerts I want tickets for, I have to apply for them to the Festival and hope to be "alloted" all the ones I have chosen.

Here is a little sample of Currentzis conducting Rameau:



No comments: