Monday, March 16, 2020

A Froberger Transcription

When I was a young performer I transcribed quite a bit of music. Most of it was from the Renaissance and Baroque. There were already a lot of very well done transcriptions of more recent 19th and 20th century music by very expert transcribers like Segovia and Bream, but the transcriptions from the earlier periods were fewer (in comparison to the repertoire available) and often unreliable. As a young artist I was drawn to the early repertoire and to the contemporary repertoire and I didn’t feel I had a huge amount to add to the interpretations of the mainstream Spanish and Romantic pieces.

So I did a lot of transcriptions of things like Elizabethan lute music, especially the duets, which were wonderful music and at the time there were few editions available. I also took a stab at some Baroque music like Sylvius Leopold Weiss and J. S. Bach. Later on I published a whole book of Bach transcriptions. But I was especially drawn to the French and French-inspired repertoire. The transcription I was most happy with from those days was an unusual little piece by Johann Jakob Froberger (1616 - 1667). He was particularly known to historians for standardizing the Baroque dance suite. This was largely the creation of the French lutenists and harpsichordists like Denis Gaultier and François Couperin. In their hands the suite consisted of a highly variable number of movements in dance or rondo form--with Couperin there could be anything from four movements to a dozen or more. While using dance forms like the allemande, gigue and sarabande, Couperin, following the lutenists’ practice, gave the movements fanciful titles like Le Gazouillement or L’Ame en Peine.

Froberger reduced the multitude of movements to just four and fixed, temporarily at least, the order to allemande, courante, gigue and sarabande. In later composers the last two were reversed, ending with the gigue. Composers such as Bach often added a prelude before and a pair of galanterie or colorful added dances before the gigue. These might be menuets, gavottes, bourrees or some other kind.

However, at times Froberger wrote single occasional pieces such as his tombeau on the death of M. Blancheroche or the piece I transcribed. These pieces were often in allemande form, a sober dance in duple time. The piece that I transcribed has a very French type of title: Plainte faite à Londres pour passer la Melancholie, la quelle se joue lentement avec discrétion . Now there’s a title for you! Here is my transcription:

Click to enlarge


As you can see, I did this transcription before we had music software!

There is a story to go with this piece. Apparently Froberger was on a trip to London and very short of cash. He happened on a fine organist that he wished to hear and in exchange for the privilege of listening he agreed to work the bellows for the organ (this was before electricity of course). After a while, affected by the music, he fell into a deep melancholy and forgot to blow, at which point the organist kicked him out on the street. And so he wrote this piece.

The Plainte is very much in the stile brisé style of the French lutenists though it has the more developed harmonic language of the clavecinists. I have always found this to be a delightful and expressive piece, though I have to admit, audiences did not always share my evaluation! Perhaps I will do a recording of it--in the meantime, please feel free to play my transcription.

7 comments:

Dex Quire said...

Your calligraphy is very fine ...I will give this a try ... I love Bach on the guitar and thinks he works so well on it. Speaking of which ... have you heard the Kurt Rodarmer Goldberg Variations; (I think they are wonderful; I'd like to hear what you think) ... cheers & thanks for the transcription ...

Bryan Townsend said...

Thanks! I heard one guitarist attempting the Goldbergs a while back, but I don't know it if was him. Just listening now. It is hard to believe he can negotiate all the variations without double-tracking. Sounds like an eight-string and a six string.

Bryan Townsend said...

The fellow I heard was this guy, Marco Salcito. No double tracking, but he just plays part of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yp7uWMDzOk

Dex Quire said...

Kurt Rodarmer uses three Schneider-Kasha style guitars and double tracks them for the Goldbergs .. check him out on Youtube when you have the chance. The Marco Salcito solo version is impressive but I don't see him avoiding the strain ... as we've written about before ... I think that is the guitar's weak point ... it can't bear such heavy loads ... I don't think composers we call classical meant to be sadists ... difficult music yes, but ...

Bryan Townsend said...

I so agree about the strain! The guitar is so often asked to do things that are unidiomatic and awkward. The fact that a few virtuosos can negotiate them is slight justification. One great strength of the music of Leo Brouwer is that it is utterly guitaristic, which is likely why so many guitarists like to play it.

Dex Quire said...

I really like the way you use the adjective 'guitaristic', as a high compliment. Yes, Brouwer is nothing if not a lover of the guitar; his creations are exciting for that. You've also tossed another important word into the mix: unidiomatic. Yes, a hundred times yes. There is a Youtube video of a player performing Debussy's Arabesque No. 1. Of course it is a wonder to see a player making gains on pulling this off. But, if harrowing, nay sadistic, fingerings prevent you from giving full value to notes, then I think it is time to throw in the towel and play something more guitaristic. When I first started studying classical guitar, my teachers said, "Think of the piano when you play. Try to get the guitar to sound like a small piano." I didn't really like that advice though I understood what they were trying to urge upon me: clean chords and distinct articulation (and separation) of voicings. When I got excited about Antonio Lauro they (my teachers) nodded and said, "Ah yes, he's very guitaristic." I remember thinking, well, aren't we studying guitar? Isn't that a good thing? Guitaristic? The player who has taken pianistic guitar playing to the max is Manuel Barrueco. Listen to his two disc Vox recordings of '300 Years of Classical Guitar' (I think that's the title). Wonderfully done, of course, but straight mini-piano. Later, I was so happy to discover Julian Bream. Finally a master guitarist who doesn't mind the world knowing that he is playing on a wooden box with nylon strings.

Bryan Townsend said...

I couldn't agree more with your comments. Manuel Barrueco is indeed a "pianistic" guitarist in the sense you mean. A master technician. But I think there is something missing--color, texture, something. Bream is a guitarist's guitarist as is John Williams.