Back when I was studying in Spain with Maestro José Tomás he gave a concert in, I think, Benidorm, that a few of us students attended. The highlight of the concert was the suite Castillos de España by Federico Moreno Torroba, at the time a fairly newly-written piece. I didn't learn it myself until several years ago. I think, at the time of the concert, it wasn't widely available. Ok, so this morning I was working on the first movement, Turégano, a lovely piece, and it occurred to me that my perfect vacation would be to have a whole month free so I could time-travel back to 1974 and study the piece with Tomás. Now that's something I really wished I had done when I was there as it would have been the perfect repertoire for me at that stage. That's my dream vacation.
How about some others?
- The first performance of the St. Matthew Passion by J. S. Bach in Leipzig, 11 April 1727
- The premiere of Le Sacre du Printemps by Stravinsky on the 29th of May, 1913 in Paris
- The first performance of L'Orfeo by Monteverdi in Mantua in 1607
- Any of the celebrations of the Great Dionysia in Athens at the theatre of Dionysus in the latter half of the 5th century BC. These celebrations included performances of the great tragedies by Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripedes
- Shakespeare at the original Globe in Southwark, London which existed between 1599 and 1613
- On a more hedonistic note, it would be wonderful to join Baron Philippe de Rothschild at his chateau in Bordeaux for a dinner just after the war when they opened the cellar where they hid all the good wine during the German occupation.
Talk about your dream vacations!
And some people go on cruises? Weird.
|Theatre of Dionysos in Athens (click to enlarge)|
Turégano by Moreno Torroba played by Segovia:
UPDATE: Ok, one last secret dream excursion. I would have liked to be at Winterland in San Francisco, March 10, 1968 to hear one of Cream's very best live concerts.