Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Too Cool?

I just stumbled across this on the New York Times site. Ethan Hawke and Dana Lyn performing "Aura Lee" from a theatrical production. I dunno, I suppose that means that whatever reaction I have to this I should not have unless I go see the play. But, what the heck, I'll give you my reaction anyway. What were they thinking? I mean, I like Ethan Hawke. I thought he was great in Training Day. But really? Perhaps this is a hum-dinger of a performance in the context of the play, but standing on its own like this, it is just lame. What's with the changing octave all the time in the singing? Ok, he can strum the guitar a bit. But what's with the little music box ending? And Dana, not to be cruel, but that's just lame fiddle playing.

I guess we always expect everything from New York to be cool, smooth and sophisticated. But sometimes it's just lame. Now here's some violin and guitar with a little energia:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

obviously not from New York, huh.

Bryan Townsend said...

Obviously! But hey, I love New York. I've spent some time there over the years--had a girlfriend from NY. But what about this performance says "New York"? The lame awkwardness of it seems more New Jersey, wouldn't you say?

Heh.