Tuesday, May 9, 2017

More on Food in Madrid

Just a selection of photos of various dishes:

Window of a pastry shop (click to enlarge)

Menu at a tapas bar

Smoked salmon on toast with tartar sauce and a little exotic salad on top

scrambled eggs, Iberian ham, french fries and salad

Fried sea food: squid, I don't know, smelt and smaller squid
Grilled sea bass with potato, onion and tomato

Eggs, scrambled with potatoes and Iberian ham on top
I know what you are thinking, geez, all this guy does is eat! Obviously not true; I also go to concerts. But I think when I get back home I am going to have to make a lot of trips to the gym!

A suitable envoi would be some "tafelmusik" by Telemann. This is a quartet in D minor for two flutes, bassoon and harpsichord:


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you no mercy on your long-suffering American readers whose choice of gourmet food is Wendy's or McDonald's? How much more pain will you inflict upon us?

Bryan Townsend said...

I'm so, so very sorry! But what about my pain? I should be resisting these dishes and just eating arugula with maybe a cranberry or two, but no, everywhere I go there are ... these ... restaurants! Eleven of them just on the block where I am staying. I counted.

Marc in Eugene said...

For some reason, I have it stuck in my head that anchovies, fried, roasted, and whatnot, are a constant presence on tables in Spain? perhaps that's just a seasonal thing? no idea.

Bryan Townsend said...

Last year I enjoyed some wonderful anchovies on toast as a tapa. They were huge compared to the ones we see in cans and came in two varieties: the brown color we usually see and a white variety. Mild tasting, not hugely salty like the ones we know.