Monday, June 19, 2023

Bits and Pieces

I was FaceTiming with a German friend and she asked "So what's the deal with American politics?" My answer: "it's so crazy I avoid it by listening to 15th century music."


* * *

The three stages of being an expat:

  1. Wow, this is a really different culture. I have to try and adapt.
  2. This is a cool place to live, you should come down for a visit.
  3. Nah, don't bother, it's not as nice as you think, you should stay where you are, we are getting crowded...
* * *

Reading about post-modernism I can certainly see the point of the criticism of abstract reason and the interest in collective identity and the subjectivity of truth. But what gives me pause is the realization of just how this is going to be--and has been--put to practical use by unscrupulous politicians. Perhaps we need a post-post-modernism.

* * *


* * *


Some pretty good drumming...

1 comment:

Wenatchee the Hatchet said...

you knew I had to link to this since you posted a link to "Burning Down the House". :)
https://www.ethanhein.com/wp/2022/burning-down-the-house/

Byrne had a supremely awkward guest appearance on Space Ghost: Coast to Coast for those who remember that talk show.