Tuesday, October 5, 2021

New Recordings

There have been a flurry of very appealing new recordings released in recent months and I am going to have a listen to some of them and review them in this space. Yes, I know, in the past I have disdained doing reviews of new releases, but frankly, that was mostly because they didn't seem that interesting. These new releases are a whole 'nother thing. The first one I am going to get into is from Daniil Trifonov. It is not his latest, which is a Bach program that probably recapitulates the program he gave in Salzburg in August that I attended. This is an older release: Silver Age, which contains Russian music from the first half of the 20th century, a particularly rich era. Here is the program:

A dream program with dream artists, so I am looking forward to that one. But before that, another two disc set is likely to arrive (yes, I prefer to own CDs) and that is this one:


I already have two recordings of the Shostakovich preludes and fugues so I might be able to do some interesting comparisons. Another recording I would love to review is by up and coming mezzo Lea Desandre:


But alas, that is out of stock already. I already posted a video of one selection from the album, a duet with Cecilia Bartoli. There are other samples at YouTube, but it seems the only one I can embed here is the one I already did. So here it is again:


UPDATE: Amazon just informed me that my order of the Trifonov album is coming from the UK via Royal Mail and will arrive sometime in November. Probably. Isn't that a bit weird?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Shostakovich release comes with a third disc containing Ronald Stevenson's 'Passacaglia On DSCH'. Will be interested to know your thoughts on the 24 Preludes and Fugues, and how it stacks up against others you have heard. That cover is very 'unclassical', isn't it?

Bryan Townsend said...

Yeah, that cover is a big departure from his previous album covers which were quite conventional. New design team!