Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Mid-week Miscellanea

Here is something interesting for you: Polish composer and pianist Hania Rani:


Motoric, modal and with a groove: what's not to like?

* * *
We don't have a lot of multi-talented people like Fred Astaire these days. He was a pretty fair piano-player, a good singer and, of course, a superb dancer. Notice how this is mostly just a couple of long shots, meaning they couldn't splice different takes together but had to get it right the first time:


* * *

Here is an orchestral piece from 1918 by Lili Boulanger, who died very young at age 24.


* * *

The UK has a long and distinguished choral tradition, which is why UK CULTURE SECRETARY ‘DESPERATE’ TO GET CHOIRS BACK.

7 comments:

Eric Aron said...

About Hania Rani.. Bryan, could you enlighten me about what your are appreciating in this music? As for me, I can’t find any interest or emotion. Just empty repetiveness on the usual fashionable 4 chords progressions, in the path of the many before like Arnalds or Frahm. As a spontaneous improvisation, it can be a moment, but even, I then can’t forget pianists like Jarrett, who went so much more far in this register.. While reading the so many YouTube comments to this video, I am quite thoughtful.. Are we now in the times that nothing more than such simplified music, reduced to a near beginner level of light looped moments will fascinate the crowds on a genius reference?

Bryan Townsend said...

I'm a bit omnivorous these days: sometimes it is nice to hear very complex music and sometimes it is nice to hear simple music. But no, that clip did not keep my interest for very long.

Maury said...

Bryan,
sorry for the lapse of time on looking on your piano piece Remembering but I left a comment and question in that thread. I got hit with some unexpected consulting tasks. Rereading the lengthy discussion today I thought it was very nice.

Bryan Townsend said...

Thanks, Maury. I noticed your comment, but haven't gotten round to replying yet. I will! And thanks again for the appreciation.

Ethan Hein said...

Hania Rani is dope as hell!

Wenatchee the Hatchet said...

I've only heard the first six minutes of the Rani film but two things jump out
1) simulating the effect of a flanger pedal on a piano is a fun post-Cage prepared piano technique
2) her ambient sound might not keep my attention for extended periods of time but it's still a fun sound. I could hear her work in a Studio Ghibli or related studio film.

Wenatchee the Hatchet said...

Adorno prescribed active/structural listening isn't the only listening paradigm we have to use, after all.