Saturday, July 4, 2020

A Poetic Pause

I have a poetry tag, though it is rarely used. Poetry has been part of my life for over fifty years, but only recently have I taken notice of the social place of poetry in this changing world. My impression was that it held hardly any interest to people, especially young people, now. But some commentators have been disagreeing with that, saying that poetry, whether in the form of song lyrics, hip hop, or "slam" poetry readings is actually alive and well.

Let me share a bit of my personal history with poetry. When I was in my teens, and sporadically up to my early 30s, I wrote rather precious poetry myself, some of which was even published. I was astonished, when I was nineteen, to have a poem I submitted to an American literary magazine accepted and published. I'm still astonished. I never followed up on that because poetry for me was largely a private affair and I didn't really look for publication. At university in my early 20s I discussed my poetry with my English professor and he was reasonably encouraging. However, I was actually enrolled in the music department so didn't do anything with that. I did attend a poetry reading by Basil Bunting, who was in residence that year, and we became acquaintances, talking about poetry and music. As I recall, he was a fan of Andrés Segovia.

My tastes in poetry are pretty wide: Homer, Dante, Shakespeare and the poets I selected for my set of songs, Songs from the Poets. Those included Li Po, Aristophanes, Anna Akhmatova, Rainer Maria Rilke, Victor Hugo, Wallace Stevens, Robert Graves, Philip Larkin (setting that one caused the loss of a very old friendship!), Theodore Roethke (my encounter with him was due to the aforementioned English professor), and John Donne.

I also like Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan, but for me song lyrics are a slightly different category than poetry simple. But, of course, I set to music a whole bunch of examples of pure poetry, choosing ones that seemed to trigger some sort of musical response in me.

So do people read much literary poetry these days? Just old folks like myself?

For an envoi, here is one of my songs, Nuits de Juin by Victor Hugo and the only text not in English.



Here is the text of that short poem:

L’été, lorsque le jour a fui, de fleurs couverte
La plaine verse au loin un parfum enivrant ;
Les yeux fermés, l’oreille aux rumeurs entrouverte,
On ne dort qu’à demi d’un sommeil transparent.

Les astres sont plus purs, l’ombre paraît meilleure ;
Un vague demi-jour teint le dôme éternel ;
Et l’aube douce et pâle, en attendant son heure,
Semble toute la nuit errer au bas du ciel.

4 comments:

Maury said...

When singers that are narrative story tellers and rappers feel the need to avoid reciting straight prose that indicates that music cannot speak easily without some form of poetry no matter its level of polish or depth. The only real (socio-cultural) question is under what conditions poetry can have a secure independent existence without any music or vocalism?

I find it interesting that as a professional guitarist and as someone who is good enough with words that you could get them published without any position, you never got the thought of writing classical (or pop) songs for guitar and voice. Are there any more recent song lyrics or rap that you would find interesting to set (copyright issues aside)?

Bryan Townsend said...

Basil Bunting for one was convinced of the need for poetry to have musical content.

The earliest stage of my musical career was as a bassist in a rock band, followed by a couple of stages where I played six string electric guitar and acoustic guitar. I even had a brief "folk" stage where I was very influenced by Bob Dylan. During this time, which lasted perhaps four or five years, I composed some forty songs, words and music, all lost I'm afraid. There was a tape of a few of the songs multi-tracked in my home with borrowed equipment with voice, rhythm guitar, lead guitar, organ, bass and drums. That would have been around 1970. Soon after I discovered classical music and left all that behind.

I don't actually see the point of setting lyrics that have already been set to music?

Maury said...

I don't actually see the point of setting lyrics that have already been set to music?<.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I was just wondering since you have set poems that you like to music. Are there any lyrics (1980-2020), from whatever pop genre, that you like enough that you would set hem if they weren't already copyrighted (set to music)?

Bryan Townsend said...

Ah, I see what you are asking. The only lyrics that really stand out in my mind from the period you mention are those by Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan.