Thursday, May 21, 2020

Foot Rest vs Guitar Rest

There are two basic accessories for the classical guitar that put the guitar in the best playing position. Back in the early 19th century some, Dionisio Aguado if I recall correctly, recommended the use of a table to rest the guitar on. Modern technique for a long time was based on the use of a footrest:


Which I used for about fifty years! Segovia used hand-made ones because in his day, the modern adjustable ones weren't available. Once, taking a lesson with José Tomas in Spain way back when, I forgot my footrest so I used an old wooden one of Segovia's that was kicking around--just a little wooden platform like a miniature coffee table.

But lately I have been more and more uncomfortable and I have developed sciatica in a nerve in my left leg, the one that is raised. A couple of years ago I got one of those leatherette covered cushions that is supposed to replace the footrest, but as it wasn't adjustable I couldn't make it work. I have noticed on YouTube that more and more younger guitarists are using a different arrangement, a "guitar rest" that sticks onto the guitar and holds it in position so you don't have to use a foot rest. Both feet are comfortably on the floor. So I ordered one, the "Tröster" model from Ergoplay. They are made in Germany and, due to Amazon's limited delivery to Mexico these days, it actually came from Germany. Here is what it looks like on the instrument:


I admit, I was long reluctant to try this kind of rest because I didn't like the idea of suckers on my instrument! However, they are perfectly safe and do not harm the instrument or mar the finish. They are strong rubber and stick really well. To get it off, you just lift on those little handles on each sucker and they come right off. This is a really solid and well-made product. It is very adjustable for height and angle and after a day or so I got pretty comfortable with it. I'm sure it will take a month before it is completely familiar, but I already find it better than the foot rest. Here is what the playing position looks like:


So there you go: a recommendation to young guitarists is to give the guitar rest a try. In the long run it may be a better option.

Watching some videos on YouTube I saw this one of guitarist Tatyana Ryzhkova who seems to be using the same model guitar rest. She looks a lot prettier while doing it too...


6 comments:

Dex Quire said...

Thank you for this Bryan; I've been thinking about this very thing for a few months. It seems my guitar likes to move away from me as I play (I hope she is not, 'hint hint' making a statement about my playing...) ... O well, informative post ...

Like the picture - a true lover of the guitar ...!

Will Wilkin said...

I relate to your complaint of pain from the way you held your instrument. After almost 2 years with my bass viol, I still feel like I don't know how to hold it, with a certain corner of the body digging into the back of my leg just above the knee, causing pain sometimes even when I'm not holding the instrument. I've talked to 3 viol players about it, all very experienced fine players, and although they show me how they hold it they also say it is individual trial and error, because not only is there no standard leg anatomy, neither is there standardization of viol shapes.

With violin I also am still learning just to hold it, though of those 5 years I only started lessons last fall and took a total of 5 monthly before campus shut down and my teacher went home. Because I want to play in the early baroque style, I got rid of both the shoulder rest and the chin rest, which modern pragmatic players might say is the cause of my problems. But I've seen it held just with fingers, bow and shoulder, no chin and no contraptions...and I slowly gain control over it.

Funny how despite all the technical problems with getting the right tone and playing style, even just holding the instrument can present challenges and require practice!

Bryan Townsend said...

Yes, Dex, part of the problem for me too was that the guitar didn't feel stable any more! The guitar stand seems to solve that pretty well.

There are some things a teacher can really help with--and some things they cannot! Everyone's anatomy is different so you have to experiment until you find a comfortable playing position. Violins, guitars, bass viols--the first thing we need to know is how to hold the damn things! Makes you jealous of pianists, doesn't it?

Dex Quire said...

Bryan Townsend wrote:
Makes you jealous of pianists, doesn't it?

Yes, I've often thought piano was nice and laid out like Sunday Brunch (in my meaner moments; I really love the piano...) ...

Steven said...

I hated the footstool. I nearly quit playing in the first year because of the regular discomfort it caused when practising at length, and I know of other (amateur) guitarists who had similar experiences. Ergoplay and shelf liner saved my playing life! One problem, though, is that those suction cups do eventually lose some of their suctioniness. Replacement cups have to be imported from Germany, like the Ergoplay itself, which is fairly expensive...

On the subject of guitar... Sean Shibe's new album of Bach has just been realised -- I can't stop playing it, just in awe of it. Certainly my new favourite recording of the lute suites. The ornamentation in particular is some of the most musical I've heard. It's getting a lot of coverage in Britain, as Shibe is now a fairly big name in classical music here, but I don't know if he is known well abroad?

There's a video of him playing the Sarabande from BWV 996: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yqjl1jKdi8

Bryan Townsend said...

I have always struggled a bit finding the most comfortable playing position. One thing I notice is that nearly every really famous guitarist is just a bit shorter than me. I'm around 5'11 and meeting guitarists like Julian Bream, John Williams, Narciso Yepes and many others, I notice they are a few inches shorter. I think this makes is easier to wrap yourself around the guitar.

Thanks for the link to Sean Shibe. I listened to a few clips and he is a fine musician and a real technical master.