Friday, March 13, 2020

Bad Commentator

The Music Salon has been extremely blessed with its commentators, a wonderfully knowledgeable group. But this week, for only the third time, I have had to ban a commentator. The first time was years and years ago when casual mention of Narciso Yepes, a guitarist I rather like, led to a vicious war between one critic and a couple of deranged supporters. I had to shut down the whole discussion. This is what led to my now moderating all comments. Then there was a single obscene and nasty comment a couple of years later and I don't even recall the post. Until this week, that was it. Absolutely amazing considering this is the Internet. The vast, vast majority of the thousands of comments that have appeared here have been excellent contributions to the discussion.

But as I say, we had an objectionable one this week on my post Bach vs Beethoven. I would like to share it with you. Here is the whole comment:
Comparing composers is a childish waste of time and anyone involved is such an endeavor needs seriously to re-examine their lives.
Worse, is the declaration that one genius is "superior" to another.
Just shut up, keep your opinions to yourself (they are meaningless anyway) and enjoy the music.
I didn't block this one, but allowed it to be published as it is such an excellent example of a certain kind of attitude--and eminently enjoyable as such. Notice the absolute certainty with which these half-witted opinions are expressed. Anyone who compares composers needs to "seriously re-examine their lives." I'll get right on that! All composers are geniuses so one cannot be superior to another. Ah, the tyranny of equity! I have run into that before. Then the elegant call for cancelation: "Just shut up" he explained. And, the final touch: your opinions are meaningless, while mine are absolute truth. I don't think I have ever run into a clearer example of intellectual fascism!

Delightful!

Let's hear a little Narciso Yepes for our envoi. Here he is with a Scarlatti sonata.

3 comments:

Will Wilkin said...

Bryan, in my busy life I hold a lot of simulated conversations with you and your readers because although too rushed to type my thoughts run quick and, seeking some external gauge for my internal perceptions, I imagine the reactions I might get from you and your commentators. Both in literal discussions of music and in broader reflections on social and aesthetic values, your articles and the discussions they provoke enrich my life. That is not hyperbole, it is an absolute truth in my interior realm where no fascist or maoist or dog can bite.

Will Wilkin said...

And since you share a guitarist playing a Scarlatti sonata, I recall sometime in the mid 1980s when I heard a few recitals by Elliot Fisk. I still remember an idea from the program notes, that the guitar was a newcomer or at least outsider to the western music standard repertoire, and that to create sheetmusic for those championing the guitar there was a lot of transcribing from baroque plucked instruments, especially the harpsichord. When I enjoy the geographic privilege of living close to Yale University by attending their annual baroque opera, I am always struck with how much quieter and often plucked are the string instruments, not just harpsichords but finger-plucked, such as lutes and theorbos. That was part of my coming to appreciate just how new and different the modern orchestra really is in the longer tradition of western art music.

Bryan Townsend said...

And this is why we love your comments here, Will.