Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Salzburg Festival 2020

I just placed my order for tickets to next summer's Salzburg Festival. Looking at the offerings I decided to focus on concerts in the second half of August. Here is what I ordered:

ORDERS (9)


15
Aug
CONCERT 11:00, Grosses Festspielhaus

Vienna Philharmonic · Muti

1 Ticket
Category 6
€ 85.-

16
Aug
CONCERT 19:30, Stiftung Mozarteum — Großer Saal

Beethoven Cycle 8 – Levit

1 Ticket
Category 3
€ 55.-

17
Aug
OPERA 20:00, Felsenreitschule
Richard Strauss

Elektra

1 Ticket
Category 6
€ 75.-

20
Aug
OPERA 18:00, Grosses Festspielhaus
Modest Mussorgsky

Boris Godunov

1 Ticket
Category 7
€ 75.-

21
Aug
CONCERT 18:00, Stiftung Mozarteum — Großer Saal

Camerata Salzburg · Lonquich

1 Ticket
Category 4
€ 60.-

23
Aug
CONCERT 11:00, Stiftung Mozarteum — Großer Saal

Mozart Matinee · Á. Fischer

1 Ticket
Category 4
€ 60.-

25
Aug
CONCERT 19:30, Felsenreitschule

Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester · Metzmacher

1 Ticket
Category 4
€ 85.-

27
Aug
CONCERT 19:30, Grosses Festspielhaus

Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra · Honeck

1 Ticket
Category 6
€ 80.-

28
Aug
CONCERT 11:00, Grosses Festspielhaus

Vienna Philharmonic · Dudamel

1 Ticket
Category 6
€ 80.-

The Vienna Phillies are performing the Symphony No. 9 by Beethoven which I have never heard in concert. The Levit concert is part of his complete cycle of the Beethoven piano sonatas. This concert includes op. 109, 110 and 111, three of my favorites. Back in the late 80s when I was a student there, they did a lot more of this. That year Brendel played all the Schubert sonatas, the Alban Berg Quartet did all the Beethoven quartets and Stockhausen's ensemble did seven concerts of his chamber music.

Then I am going to two operas. I chose operas I didn't know over a couple of Mozart operas which I sort of know! Hope I made the right choice. I am really looking forward to Boris Godunov. This version was orchestrated by Shostakovich. The concert on the 21st is rather a marathon. It goes from 6 to 11pm and will include ALL the Beethoven piano concertos with Alexander Lonquich both as soloist and conductor. The Mozart Matinee includes an early symphony and the 41st. The Mahler Jugendorchester has this program:
MODEST MUSSORGSKY
Prelude 'Dawn over the Moscow River' from the opera Khovanshchina
Songs and Dances of Death
DMITRY SHOSTAKOVICH
Symphony No. 4 in C minor, Op. 43

The Pittsburgh Symphony concert includes the Beethoven Violin Concerto and the Bartók Concerto for Orchestra. The Dudamel concert includes a Liszt Piano Concerto and the Firebird. And I forgot to book a ticket to the Daniil Trifinov concert with a terrific program of 20th century music. So I went back and added that one. Sometime around the end of March I will find out if I have been "alloted" the tickets.

So, looks like a very full and satisfying festival. Will I see any of my readers there?

For our envoi, how about that Symphony No. 4 by Shostakovich? This is the one he withdrew from rehearsal in 1936 after he was denounced in Pravda. He wrote the Symphony No. 5 to restore his standing with Stalin. Bernard Haitink probably conducting the Concertgebouw:


2 comments:

Patrick said...

Bryan - I'm deeply envious I am unable to attend, but look forward to the extensive reports I'm sure will post on the various musical goings-on. Hope it it is a good festival for you!

Bryan Townsend said...

You know, all things considered, it is not a terribly expensive vacation. People spend a lot more! I am lucky in that I have a job where I can take time off when I want.