Friday, June 28, 2019

Friday Miscellanea

Here is a fun item explaining some curious things about the viola including why there are so many viola jokes: Why Is the Viola the Butt of So Many Jokes?


These jokes are nothing new, and so firmly cemented in many musical communities that the topic “Viola Jokes” earned its own Wikipedia page. Violist and Indiana University of Pennsylvania professor Carl Rahkonen’s article No Laughing Matter: The Viola Joke Cycle as Musicians' Folklore notes that while soprano jokes often play on the diva stereotype and conductor jokes poke fun at the maestro god complex, viola jokes mock trial (perceived) musical incompetence. Since effective humor hinges on the unexpected, Rahkonen argues that these jokes have ceased to be funny, and essentially serve to enforce a musical hierarchy, and violists are always at the bottom.
The article goes on to discuss the interesting history of the viola and some particularly nice repertoire.

* * *

Looks like I might be in the Vancouver area next May as that is when we are planning to premiere my  new string quartet. It will be dedicated to the Pro Nova Ensemble who will give the first performances in North and West Vancouver. I will let you know the dates as soon as they are decided. I don’t know how many readers of the blog are in that general area, but whoever you are, I extend a general invitation to either or both of the concerts. There will probably be CDs available for purchase. If anyone is interested why don’t we schedule a meet-up? I’m sure there would be lots of suitable places!

* * *

A whole bunch of posts over at Slipped Disc about the Tchaikovsky competition, but perhaps the most striking is the one about the concerto reversal. One stage of this grueling competition asks the pianists to play two big virtuoso concertos back to back. The Chinese contestant was expecting to play Tchaikovsky, then Rachmaninoff, but instead the order was reversed and announced, only in Russian. So when the orchestra began he was absolutely flummoxed. Here is the clip:


* * *

Also at Slipped Disc an item about a last minute change of pianists:
Gabriela Montero had bought tickets to hear Martha and Maria Joao Pires play four-hand in Hamburg and had booked her flights from Barcelona. Last night at one in the morning, the phone rang. ‘Gabrielita,’ said Martha, ‘Pires has had to cancel on Wednesday night. Will you play the Schubert F Minor Fantasie with me? And could you do some improvisations?’.
Gabriela says: ‘So, that’s where I’ll be tonight. Not sitting in the audience, but sitting onstage next to my dear Martha bringing to life these gorgeous 20 minutes of other-worldly inspiration.'
* * *

And again at Slipped Disc, notice that one of the Salzburg concerts that I have a ticket for that was to be conducted by Mariss Jansons will instead be conducted by Yannick Nézet-Séguin. Should be quite a treat as I have not heard him conduct. Jansons has cancelled all his engagements this summer due to illness.

* * *

Canada has a new singing star. Jeremy Dutcher is an indigenous member of the Wolastoqiyik tribe from New Brunswick. Here is a story in the San Francisco Classical Voice:
Interviews with Jeremy Dutcher figure among the new demands on a Canadian First Nations (indigenous) singer-pianist who’s risen rapidly to international attention. The 28-year-old Toronto resident needs now and then to take a break from the clamor, to return to something like the pastoral pace of his raising in the Maritime province of New Brunswick, as a member of the Wolastoqiyik [pronounced Wuh-last-o-key-yik] tribe.
I first witnessed Dutcher a year ago, at the Festival International de Jazz de Montréal, performing on piano and singing in his tribe’s native Wolastoq language (the word denotes ‘the beautiful river’; renamed by the colonizers of New Brunswick as the St. John), in the basement of a church, a beautiful historical landmark. He hadn’t yet won Canada’s prestigious Polaris Prize, nor its Grammy-equivalent Juno Awards. Both of these wins would recognize his debut self-produced album, Wolastoqiyik Lintuwakonawa, translated as Songs of the People of the Beautiful River, tracks from which were presented in Montreal and will be heard here this Saturday when Dutcher appears at 1 p.m. at the Yerba Buena Gardens Festival.
Dutcher incorporates in his live and recorded music an unusual and affecting act of legacy, playing transcribed wax recordings from 1911 by an early anthropologist of a tribal elder singing and speaking, and following the melodies with his own heldentenor voice and mellifluous keyboard compositions. The method and quality of his approach derive from his training, including classical voice with Marcia Swanston at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
That sounds fascinating! Let's have a listen. This is his performance of Sakomawit at this year's Juno awards (Canadian equivalent to the Grammys):


Ooph! Well, the costuming is certainly unusual. Was that a mesh t-shirt over short-shorts underneath the cape? Canada has been fetishizing their native peoples for decades now and this looks like the perfect fulfillment of that project done as a 70s rock ballad. And no, that's not a heldentenor voice, at least not one that would ever get a job singing Wagner.

* * *

I have probably told the story of Artur Schnabel before. He was one of the greatest pianists of the first half of the 20th century, particularly known for his Beethoven. For many years he simply refused to record the Beethoven piano sonatas because of a fear that someone, someday would listen to the recording while eating a ham sandwich. Yes, by today's standards, just a tad elitist! I have similar feelings when I realize that if I issue a CD people might be listening to it on a laptop. Even worse, no-one listens to CDs anymore so it will be streamed over an iPhone and listened to via earbuds. Shudder! Here, via ShellyPalmer, is the story of how we got to where we are:
The world of recorded music was irrevocably changed in October 2001 when Apple introduced the iPod. While it is well remembered as a stepping stone to the greatest comeback in American corporate history, the iPod is less well remembered for dealing the final, almost fatal, blow to sonic quality.
The iPod came with the iconic white earbuds. The wired version was prominently featured in the equally iconic iBod campaign. As pretty and expensive ($29 if purchased separately) as earbuds were, the transducers (the little speakers in each ear) probably cost Apple 29 cents. I’m pretty sure Apple spent more on the packaging than it did on the hardware. To say that earbuds offered the least emotionally satisfying audio experience possible would be a compliment.
When you combine “lossy” compression with 29-cent earbuds, you get the world of recorded music as mass marketed by Steve Jobs. You also get the death of sonic quality. The funny thing is, nobody noticed.
Hey, I noticed! Read the whole thing.

* * * 

For our envoi today, let's pay some homage to the viola. This is Mozart's lovely duo concerto for violin, viola and orchestra, the Sinfonia Concertante. The soloists are Wolfram Brandi (violin) and Yulia Devneka (Viola) and the Staatskapelle Berlin is conducted by Daniel Barenboim:


20 comments:

Steven said...

I don't worry about the supposed declining audio quality of music. Apple audio quality is still much better than gramophones or the wireless seventy years ago. I have a very cheap speaker I use for listening to music, but I'm an attentive listener so frankly I get much more out of it than most would from some £3000 system. I suspect people listened much more carefully to music in an era when audio quality was much worse.

My personal listening habits may not be interesting to anyone but me, but just in case... I may be part of a transitional generation. As a teenager, we bought CDs but only to upload to a computer, then maybe transfer to an mp3 player, or an iPod if you could afford one -- I hardly recall putting CDs into actual CD players... Streaming was also becoming fashionable. But more than downloads (or uploads) or spotify, the thing that seems to have most affected my listening habits is youtube. I think 90% of what I listen to must be on there. And usually with video. I very seldom just listen to the music anymore. Either I go hear music live (which I'm fortunate to be able to do rather often) or else I hear it by way of a video recording, rather different to the almost abstract listening experience which recordings made common in the last century.

Bryan Townsend said...

Thanks for this very interesting comment, Steven! Yes, if you have some decent speakers hooked up to your computer, or some decent headphones, you are having a pretty good listening experience. And I too find myself listening and watching performances on YouTube more and more. There are just so many available and some are quite good quality. I most certainly take your point about being an attentive listener. That really is the most important factor.

But if I really want to sit down and listen to something seriously, I still prefer my harmon/kardon with Polk Audio sub-woofer. Especially if it's the Rite...

Steven said...

Even the most dense musicological discussion on this blog has not bewildered me as much as the sentence '...my harmon/kardon with Polk Audio sub-woofer'!

I am desperate to hear the Rite live. Hoping I might catch it at this year's Proms. I recall vividly your account of hearing it performed -- I was terribly envious

Bryan Townsend said...

Oops! Sorry. In the Golden Age of Audiophiles, say, the 70s and 80s, I was terribly poor and could not afford a good sound system. A few years ago, having the funds, I started looking to equip myself. And, argh, discovered that there were hardly any systems around any more. Everybody is streaming and listening on earbuds. However, I did find an excellent small, though quality, CD system by harmon/kardon who were one of the big names in audio back in the day. Good thing I bought it when I did as they don't make it any more.

Yes, that Rite in Madrid was excellent! I am looking forward to hearing the Bavarian Radio Orchestra in August doing the Symphony no. 5 by Shostakovich.

Marc in Eugene said...

I continue to be content with the Bose SoundLink Mini speakers Brian pointed toward two or so years ago. There is a new version of that product with improvements to the Bluetooth functionality etc etc: but since I keep mine cabled to the laptop used for music don't see any reason to 'upgrade'.

Jane Glover's Mozart's Requiem last night was a fine first OBF concert; the soloists (particularly the mezzo Elizabeth DeShong and the tenor Colin Ainsworth) were impressive and Glover and the orchestra and chorus seem to have made their festival partnership work exceptionally well. Maestra Glover (in the pre-concert question-and-answer session), obviously an experienced and talented exponent of the music (looking about the Internet I see she has much history with Mozart performance), rather off-put me by her emphasis on the Requiem's nature throughout as JOY and CELEBRATION. Quite how she squares this emphasis with e.g. the text of the Dies irae, am not sure (I wasn't the one asking the questions, obviously) but the larger number of the OBF audience are certainly more 'into' CELEBRATION than death/judgment/Heaven/Hell (and who knows, after all, about Mozart himself?), so I suspect there were only a few of us with any reservations. And how can anyone not take delight in his Symphony no 29, which preceded the Requiem?

Marc in Eugene said...

You omitted to point out not only Jeremy Dutcher's indigeneity (if that is a word properly used in this context) but also that he is a 'two spirit' fellow i.e. somewhere on the LGBXYZ spectrum ('... the intersection of identifying as both Indigenous and Two-Spirited allows Dutcher to speak out on the Indigenization of queer spaces....'). Whether that has anything to do with the costume, I have no idea (but I have grave doubts that the fishnet and cuffs derive from Wolastoqiyik tradition). Many years ago, I lived on one of the Sioux reservations in South Dakota for four or five years. While I appreciated the ceremonial singing that'd happen at pow-wows (and don't want to suggest that Lakota song and Wolastoqiyik song are similar because 'indigenous'), I must admit that I admired this as cultural artefact rather more than as music. My recollection is of much sameness punctuated by brief higher pitched interruptions denoting readiness for battle, anguish, or victory.

Bryan Townsend said...

Charles Rosen comments somewhere that the Classical Style, while a marvelous thing, does not lend itself to serious religious music. The masses etc of Haydn and Mozart always sound rather too celebratory. But I would except the Mozart Requiem which uses quite a lot of archaic counterpoint and other devices to make it more elegiac. Joy? Nope.

The truth is that the indigenous music of the peoples of North America is rather utilitarian, as you say, and without any discernible musical sophistication or merit. So, in order to make a big show at the Junos, he takes one of these simple chants and turns it into a wildly overblown 70s rock ballad.

Marc in Eugene said...

May I point out Guy Dammann's essay in the new issue of the Times Literary Supplement called Excess all arias? in which he asks whether the post-Gluck etc 'so-called reform of opera along rationalist lines' in which 'music in opera should serve, and in particular drive, the drama', citing Joseph Kerman's 1956 Opera as Drama. Thought this was fascinating because Dammann is questioning a significant element of the reigning fashion, style, paradigm.

"What struck me again and again in this concert was the way in which the virtuosity-- both slow and impassioned or fast and furious-- is not, as it is often taken to be, a thing apart from the expressive content. It is not, that is to say, that the vocal showing off stands as one object of awareness, and the dramatic content as another. The singers were and are 'showing off', not in the sense of gratuitous adornment but rather in the sense of bearing witness to the unfurling of the soul which accompanied the historical expansion of its foremost means of expression, the human voice. And for this, of course, the da capo aria form-- which evolved towards the end of the seventeenth century as the influence of individual singers grew-- is the perfect vehicle, because the expansion of the singing voice is built into the idea of the repeated opening section."

The concert he's describing was performed as part of the 'Pentecost Weekend' series at Salzburg.

Bryan Townsend said...

Thanks, Marc, for that link. I'm not a subscriber to the TLS so I can only see the first paragraph. But it makes me realize that one blind spot in my musical awareness is Gluck! I really should look into him.

Is that beautifully written paragraph you quote from the Dammann essay?

When I lived in Montreal there was a magazine store that actually carried the TLS and I would purchase it fairly regularly.

Marc in Eugene said...

Yes, that's Dammann. The first part of it incorporates reviews of two concerts from the Pentecost Festival at Salzburg ('Farinelli and Friends' and Handel's Alcina). The second part is his briefer review of Gluck's Alceste given May/June at the Bavarian Staatsoper in Munich; there's a review here-- I couldn't find any in English, apart from Dammann's. Hmm. I've copied the article to my blog, where I'll leave it for a few days before editing it down to what I want to save.

Bryan Townsend said...

Thanks for the link. Excellent piece of criticism and it inspired me to download the Kindle of the Kerman book. I'm a fan of Joseph Kerman, but that is the one book of his I have not read.

Now I find you you have your own blog!!

Marc in Eugene said...

I might read the Kerman too but not any time soon-- only so many hours in the day.

The OBF Handel concert-- Water Music, Concerto a due cori No. 1 in B flat major, and then 'one of the Italian cantatas' (who knows why they didn't specify this; availability of this or that singer, perhaps?)-- in a couple of hours. John Butt, professor at the U. of Glasgow and music director of the Dunedin Consort in Edinburgh etc etc is conducting; a well-respected exponent of Bach and Handel's music, I believe.

Have gone through probably eight? iterations of blog over the years; I used to begin full of interest and purpose then gradually losing those estimable qualities. The current one continues to exist but I don't post there with any regularity; has its uses, however. :-)

Bryan Townsend said...

The OBF concerts sound wonderful. Enjoy!!

Marc in Eugene said...

Not sure when you're in Salzburg but if you're able to make a quick trip over to Innsbruck on the 7th, 9th, or 11th August, you can hear what I'm guessing is the first production of Riccardo Broschi's La Merope in a few years (287?) at the Early Music Festival there. Broschi was Carlo/Farinelli's brother; there don't seem to be any of his operas available online at Spotify/Idagio/Primephonic (which is or is not telling in some way). A recording of the overture is at YouTube here.

Bryan Townsend said...

I'm there between July 31 and Aug. 13, so those dates are definitely feasible. Thanks for the tip!

Marc in Eugene said...

In case you were tired of looking at New Music Box, there's a new post there making the analogy between the partners people of color and classical music and the people in an abusive relationship. I understand rhetoric when I see it so have not complained to anyone but isn't that in effect offensively diminishing the experience of someone in an actual abusive relationship? I only read the introduction.

On a brighter note, the other night's performance by the quartet Brooklyn Rider of Beethoven's opus 132 inter alia was memorable (actually the best of the OBF thus far), and there is an interview with Michael Nicolas, the quartet's cellist, in which he explains how they prepared the program, selected the contemporary pieces and so forth.

Bryan Townsend said...

I think we already talked about that post at NewMusicBox a couple of weeks ago? Or am I hallucinating?

Yes, Brooklyn Rider seem quite interesting quartet and I wish I had heard that concert.

Re your previous mention of the early music festival in Innsbruck, I just checked and that is only two hours away by train so I will likely try to pop over. And then I can say "Innsbruck, ich muss dich lassen!"

Marc in Eugene said...

You may well be right about the NMB piece but I did think that was a different one; had the date July 3 in my head but see that the NMB article is dated 24th of last month. Sorry!

Marc in Eugene said...

It was the 'Am I Not A Minority?' article by the same author, Nebal Maysaud, that you wrote about, I think, but Wenatchee introduced this 'Die, classical music' piece in the comments (and Will mentioned that it is "by far the most racist thing I've read in many years"); I managed to miss that W. and W. were commenting on a second article (or perhaps didn't, then, but by yesterday when I read Titania McGrath's tweet, "I always knew there was a reason I failed my Grade 5 oboe exam", linking to the second Maysaud piece, I guess I had converted the two articles into one).

Bryan Townsend said...

Right, two disturbing and upsetting articles!